Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Default Downloading and Installing Plugins for PT9

I download a free plugin from a site that doesn't not automatically install the plugin into my Pro Tools 9 interface.

How do I install the WinRar archive dll into my Pro Tools 9?

Hear new releases from my EDM Label-DoubleGlassEntertainment
Visit: http;//www.soundcloud.com/bhmproductions

Purchase New Releases from DoubleGlassEntertainment in Traxsource:
http://www.traxsource.com/label/15553/doubleglassentertainment[/url]

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Downloading and Installing Plugins for PT9

How do I install the WinRar archive dll into my Pro Tools 9?

That part is simple, you don't.

Now, let's try to sort this out...

What plugin is it and where did you download it from?

Was an RTAS version offered, and if so, is that what you downloaded? An RTAS version is the only one that will work with PT9, which means VST plugins will not work. I got bitten by this myself back in my early Pro Tools days...I spent a whole day downloading free plugins only to find that they weren't RTAS and wouldn't work.

Have you previously worked with WinRAR?

Be sure to click the http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050 link (Help Us Help You) at the top of this page, and supply the requested information.
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-23-2014, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Downloading and Installing Plugins for PT9

Also, Winrar is a compressed file format that needs to be 'unpacked' by a suitable utility before you can do anything. I suggest you read up on this and download appropriate software (there are free examples on the net).

Once unpacked, you should then be able to see the installer and, provided the plug-in is compatible (as Bill has pointed out), you should be able to proceed by clicking the icon.