Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 05-19-2010, 05:51 PM

Default Using Pro Tools on Stage for Backing Tracks and Loops

I am trying to use pro tools to play backing tracks and a click for my band. I have seen many artists that i have worked with do this and it has worked great for them, but i personally can't figure out how to get more than one song in the same session..

i realize that i could just keep setting up more tracks in one session and just nudge them to the end of the previous song, but then my tempos would be off.

I want to be able to set up tracks that go along with what the live band is playing. these tracks would mostly be recorded into pro tools using midi.

is there anyway to combine sessions so that at the end of one song pro tools stops playing and you just have to start the next song right from the same session with relative easy as well as have a different speed click playing.

if this is not possible how do artists set up pro tools to do this.

I have spent endless hours messing around pro tools trying to figure this out, but no matter how much time i spend i just can't seem to find anything at all.

I'm sure there are lots of you out there using pro tools for this purpose so please share your wisdom.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Avid

Default Re: Using Pro Tools on Stage for Backing Tracks and Loops

There's no way to get Pro Tools to stop at the end of a region/song, but most people get around this by separating each song by an appropriate length of time to allow them to stop the transport.

Typically you would put all songs on a single track and set up a tempo change at the beginning of each song, as well as a marker. To go to a particular song, just use the keypad to hot key in the marker/song you want to go to.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 PM

I'm sorry, but i am very new to pro tools. Would you be able to explain that in simpler terms.

I understand and it makes sense that i can stop separate the songs so that it would give me time to stop playback, but I am not sure about the rest.

Are you saying that I should bounce all the tracks that i have recorded for one song to one single track?

Also with tempo changing am i able to have a different speed click playing for each song. (this click would need to be paned to a different side, either right or left, and the rest of the tracks to the other side that would be sent to the board to be mixed. The click would just be played in my drummers ears.)

Finally is it possible to build each song in it's own session then merge each song for that concert together. This would be nice then i wouldn't have to go building a new session for each concert, but just pull the songs that were already done into the same session.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:41 PM

I'm using Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.1
M-Audio MobilePre USB
Windows Vista, 64bit, SP2
HP computer
Old 08-30-2011, 12:20 PM

Hey dude (Supt) are you really saying that there is no way to make ProTools just stop at the end of a song??
Old 08-30-2011, 01:17 PM

(Not in front of PTools right now, but I think this will work.) Turn off loop playback. Select the entire song and hit play. Pretty sure it'll play through then stop w/o looping back.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume