Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2000, 10:15 PM

Default 001 WILL NOT sync accurately to ADATs(I think)

I have been experiencing as much as 140 milliseconds of random error while trying to sync 001 to adats via mtc. Sometimes its as little as 20 milleseconds but it is random. (we're talking a different start time here. once you get a start time your digital clock takes over.) Hey, what happened to that great groove I thought we had in the studio? Digidesign says this is "acceptable". I fail to see how anybody could use this type of sync for anything. perhaps a lot of people are thinking that they're in sync when in fact they are only roughly in the same area. I am doing everything correctly. I find Digidesign's lack of profesionalism extremely irritating and perhaps fraudulent. I would much prefer they just come out and say that this product will not sync in any usable way and then I wouldn't have invested a pile of money in the datasync etc. I'm sorry but 20 to 140 milliseconds is NOT sync by any stretch of the imagination. If any one out there has been accurately able to sync between anb Adat and an 001 within say 5 milliseconds continuously, I would love to hear how. I don't think it can be done with mtc. What idiot invented this mtc system?
Old 11-22-2000, 11:54 PM

Default Re: 001 WILL NOT sync accurately to ADATs(I think)

MTC is definitely a bit sloppy...

I just import the ADAT tracks into PTLE once and take it from there. No muss, no fuss.

You may not have that option - depending on your situation.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 11-23-2000, 10:11 AM

Buy MTP AV
Old 11-23-2000, 10:29 AM

I use a MTPAV to sync ADATs with PTLe and I thing that I never saw such "desync" at the start time, even comparing leakage from toms tracks (somewhere between tracks 4-8) against OH tracks (trks. 9 or 10).
I thing that 50-140 ms delay is VERY noticeable....
Old 11-23-2000, 11:11 AM

I have tried MTPav and it is still mtc and it's inherent error. You cannot use the SMPTE while doing a digital dump because of the absence of a clock master while dumping. Your MTPav is looking for the clock from the incoming SMPTE (off 001) while the 001 is looking for clock from MTPav / ADATs, therefore no-one is the master. I wouldn't have minded so much if they had told me in the first place instead of lying to me repeatedly and wasting my time and money. Now I'm stuck with a DATASYNC 2 that is completely useless. It's relatavely easy to line up 8 tracks at a time in Protools using a click, but that doesn't let you transfer back to ADATs in sync for mixing analog, storage, playing along etc. I think a printed retraction of the 001's sync capabilities is in order, and they should buy this DATASYNC 2 off of me. Like I say, if it doesn't sync, fine, but don't tell me it will sync and get me to waste a pile of money and time on it. How about some honesty here.
Old 11-24-2000, 08:33 PM

I have had the same problems. I've been able to shift tracks around in Pro Tools for mixing, but have not been able to transfer back to ADAT. I think that the Digital Time Piece will resolve the system, but I'm not positive. Do a search for DTP and maybe "resolved" on the users group and see if that helps.