Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-09-2010, 06:02 AM

Default Exporting MIDI not working

I have a Yamaha Tyros 2 and have recorded some music on the system directly (rather than into Protools via MIDI). I then use another program to transfer the created MIDI file from the Tyros onto my computer and import the MIDI into Protools - all works fine right now; 4 tracks appear that correspond to the 4 tracks recorded on the Tyros.

I then export the MIDI tracks back out as a new MIDI file. I do not include real-time properties and export as multitrack. I transfer the newly created MIDI file back on to the Tyros and then try to load it but it fails to load correctly (the only message I get).

I deliberately do nothing to the MIDI tracks I have imported into Protools so that the exported MIDI should be identical to the imported one but clearly it is not.

Anyone any ideas?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Exporting MIDI not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzieh View Post
I then export the MIDI tracks back out as a new MIDI file. I do not include real-time properties and export as multitrack. I transfer the newly created MIDI file back on to the Tyros and then try to load it but it fails to load correctly (the only message I get).

I deliberately do nothing to the MIDI tracks I have imported into Protools so that the exported MIDI should be identical to the imported one but clearly it is not.

Anyone any ideas?
I'm assuming you're export is just to test to see if this will work once you are actually editing the MIDI within Pro Tools? Otherwise, I don't see the point.

When you do the export from Pro Tools, which MIDI File Format are you selecting? 0 or 1?

There are some items in the Tyros manual's troubleshooting section about "write-protect", you should check that out.

What other program are you using to transfer the MIDI from the Tyros, specifically?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 AM

I've had a similar problem that I posted few days ago. The problem appeared after installing the latest version (8.04). I have a Digi002 running on Windows XP , Sp3. Please check out this thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=279417

I make midi files constantly, and it's so annoying that I can no longer use pro tools to do that. In my case, everytime i hit export, the Task Manger window pops up, as if it's doing something in the background. It goes on forever. The midi file that's exported, is corrupted, and not recognized by any Software that I own. I've tried both 0 and 1 formats by the way.

Is anybody able to export midi with pro tools 8.04?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:18 AM

You're right spkguitar, I was doing this as a simple test of the system.

The file copies both ways without issue and I am using the Yamaha software for transferring midi files that comes with the Tyros.

I am using multi-track option (1) rather than single track (0) and I am now wondering if I have mis-understood what this meant. I am interpreting tracks as channels and maybe this is where my mistake lies?