How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2015, 09:22 PM

Default Re: PT12 - "freeze track" feature

re: Zeffener

If that works for you great - but for me just clicking a button instead of doing all that would make getting back to work a lot easier and faster. Plus less thinking which I like cause then I can keep thinking about other stuff - like how everything is sounding.

No argument though that you have described a functional workaround.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:54 AM

The big thing for me about track freeze vs bounce is that you can turn on freeze on a track, but if you want to make changes, you simply unfreeze by clicking the button, make your changes and freeze again. Sure you can do that with bounce too with a fair bit more stuffing around, but the workflow with proper track freeze is far better.

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/
Old 01-24-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Missile View Post
The big thing for me about track freeze vs bounce is that you can turn on freeze on a track, but if you want to make changes, you simply unfreeze by clicking the button, make your changes and freeze again. Sure you can do that with bounce too with a fair bit more stuffing around, but the workflow with proper track freeze is far better.
Key words here are 'proper track freeze'. I remember when it first happened with Sonar 8 back in the day and it was a hit-or-miss affair as to accuracy, especially with heavy computational vi's like Absynth. Hopefully that's been sorted out.

QAPLA!
Old 01-24-2015, 02:37 PM

I appreciate the various comments from people who've seen the demos. It's all well and good to see snippets of live or video demos where they're using a version of the software where it's apparently working. But maybe it's presuming too much to think it will appear the same way in the final golden master version. I'm optimistic maybe (?) but it would be nice to see the feature explained and actually listed among the new features on the Avid website. Until then the only thing that seems to be officially confirmed is that you can "unfreeze" a track that was sent to you flattened as part of the collaboration process.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
maybe it's presuming too much to think it will appear the same way in the final golden master version. I'm optimistic maybe (?) but it would be nice to see the feature explained and actually listed among the new features on the Avid website.
what he said - not complaining - just curious - my little upgrade fee is just coffee money but it's the difference between spending it or not for me for this version
Old 01-25-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
I appreciate the various comments from people who've seen the demos. It's all well and good to see snippets of live or video demos where they're using a version of the software where it's apparently working. But maybe it's presuming too much to think it will appear the same way in the final golden master version. I'm optimistic maybe (?) but it would be nice to see the feature explained and actually listed among the new features on the Avid website. Until then the only thing that seems to be officially confirmed is that you can "unfreeze" a track that was sent to you flattened as part of the collaboration process.
Plus let's not forget trade show demo stuff, whether software or hardware, is tweaked to perfection to show off the 'best' a company can do. I know because I've been guilty of aiding & abetting that in another lifetime for a company I used to work for. Not proud of it but those were my marching orders.

Also those MacBookPro machines they're running this stuff on are more likely than not NOT stock machines and are tweaked to the max. I seriously doubt Avid went to the local Apple Store and picked up a bunch of off the shelf laptops.

QAPLA!
Old 01-25-2015, 11:29 AM

Just the convenience factor. It should be way faster than real time. I don't know about PT12, but in Samplitude freezing a track might take 5-10 seconds, which obviously then frees up the DSP that was being used by that track. Unfreezing, similarly takes a couple of seconds, which is very convenient when you want to make changes to a frozen track. So you can freeze a track, unfreeze it to change it, then freeze it back all in about 15-20 seconds.

Might not be worth $200, but is definitely a "nice to have" feature.

Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeffener View Post
I can't see paying $200 for a "feature" that's already available.
1) Bounce the track (instrument or audio) to a new Audio track
2) Hide & make inactive the original track
3) Wipe hands on pants & GBTW.

Offline bounce & import would probably take about the same time as a freeze (based on using freeze function in Logic, which I didn't find particularly helpful)

If you need the routing for sends, etc., duplicate the track but uncheck inserts on the Duplicate pop-up menu & put the bounce on there

YMMV
Cheers
Z
Old 01-25-2015, 10:17 PM

im sure its theoretically useful, but what if it does all kinds of clicks and sync issues? will it actually work properly? im gonna wait another 6 months to find out...i got work to do....
Old 01-26-2015, 02:09 AM

When Apple Logic came out with their track freeze feature it was so unstable (frozen tracks would sometimes not play audio at all) that I was never able to risk using that feature in my professional studio environment.

Even when playing huge sessions my CPU usage rarely goes over 20% on the HDX / dual UAD setup. Nothing to gain here...

The only useful scenario would be to free up UAD plugin resources with DSP hungry plugins like the Neve 1073 simulation.

What would really have caught my attention would be an easy and straightforward integrated workflow for bouncing outboard on hardware inserts into the session without having to do it manually.

And another thought: where is the integrated "Melodyne style" pitch correction on individual tracks in PT12?

on top of that: my clients would never let me use a cloud based service where there is even the slightest chance that unreleased material could leak into the internet, serious security issues there...

Last edited by martthie_08; 01-26-2015 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:51 AM

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...vid-store.html

Track freeze is finally confirmed on the Avid store. It will be available in 2015. Hopefully right away.