Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-07-2018, 10:41 AM

Default Pro Tools First and Pro Tools Full Demo

Hi all,

I'm a former Pro Tools 8 M-Powered user who switched to another DAW several years ago. I switched audio interfaces at the same time, so although I still have my PT software and license, I no longer have the hardware needed to use it (sure would have been nice if Avid had released a final build of older software versions that relaxed the hardware requirement when dropped it at v10!)

Yesterday I stumbled across a couple dvd's where I had archived dozens of my old Pro Tools projects when I switched to Studio One, and it made me nostalgic for them. I have stereo mixdowns of all of them, but I'd like to open them in Pro Tools again, rework them a bit and bounce every track to audio and/or mixdown stems for import into Studio One or Reason. I wouldn't even be adverse to exporting the instrument MIDI, as well.

So - at last - my question. If I download the 30-day PT Ultimate demo, should I expect my old PT8MP projects to open seamlessly with all instruments & effects in place?
Old 12-07-2018, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools First and Pro Tools Full Demo

You are posting in the wrong area, Pro Tools 2018 not 12 is not what you would be using. Make sure you have a computer system that meets the requirements for 2018.x and read up on installation and systems optimization steps.

One issue is what plugins did you use, and are they included in Pro Tools 2018, or available from Avid or available from third parties in AAX format. Old RTAS plugins no longer work. A month demo of 2018 might include the Pro Tools Complete Plug In bundle, not sure, you can check.

If you mess around with Ultimate be aware of the significantly increases costs over Pro Tools standard if you want to keep using Pro Tools. There should be no reason you need Ultimate and be prepared to get back to say a PT standard license or subscription.

Not sure what the Pro Tools First question is, but it cannot open your old sessions, which is one of the reasons it’s largely a waste of time.