Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-28-2010, 10:26 AM

Default QT friendly formats in PT?

Looking to bend the rules a little bit, wanted to see if anyone out there had some feedback.

While PT is open to QT for playback, has anyone had any form of success with non native QT files playing in QT for use within a PT session?

Example: Windows Media File. Flip4Mac allows for Windows Media files to playback in QT. So, the ability may exist for WMV playback within QT.

Long Story Short, Quicktime limits in terms of security (DRM), and I'm looking to get some kind of DRM into a QT file which may be used in mixing within PT.

All my research and inquiries into DRM within QT seems to come up with the same answer: there is no way to enable decent DRM into a downloadable (non streamable) QT file.

Thoughts please!
.: michaelkammes.com
.: lucidsound.com
Old 04-28-2010, 10:51 AM

Default Re: QT friendly formats in PT?

Sorenson quicktime does well for DRM as a direct QT answer.

You distribute media keys.
The video remains blacked out until the media key is posted within Quicktime preferences (advanced tab) and will play back fine in protools
Old 04-28-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHiggins View Post
Sorenson quicktime does well for DRM as a direct QT answer.

You distribute media keys.
The video remains blacked out until the media key is posted within Quicktime preferences (advanced tab) and will play back fine in protools
This raises lots of questions, I'll contact my Sorenson Media Rep. I was looking into Wildvine and Civolution, as well. Thanks Doug!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:17 PM

Yeah, not really sure what is used to generate/create the media key as I haven't had to deal with any picture creation. But I have received and used quite a number of them from one of the major studios as recently as yesterday...and I have not had a problem within protools at all.

The only fussy issue is to make sure when you enter the media key within quicktime preferences is to enter "Sorenson Media" exactly in the (category).

good luck.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Seems my first choice - NexGuard - by CIVOLUTION - (dongle based authentication for decode of any media file) has shelved the product, including selling or future development. Which leaves me back to relying on media keys (Sorenson), using Digital Rapids to do the same thing (albeit with a higher level of encryption, and necessitating a PC only decoder as well as a media key.)

I'm still quite interested in a dongle based authentication method, focusing more on the preventative end then on the "damage control" forensic watermarking end.

Although it will definietly be a pain for those who have to create, manage, and track it - if it can prevent only 1 modestly budgeted film from being pirated, it pays for itself.

Thus, if anyone has any more robust solutions, I'd appreciate it.