Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 12-29-2010, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Control surface vs mouse???

Well if you could only have one , which would it be? Since I can only afford one at a time for now..
Old 12-29-2010, 04:59 AM

Gw, where have you seen them for less than $800? Most stores I've seen and eBay prices seem to hover around 1k.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:40 AM

Try AageMusik in Copenhagen (but that is for the v. 1). v.2 is very expensive here in Europe.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
Is that v. 2? You can find v. 1 units for a lot less right now...
Bsw has a blowout on V2 with an extra 10% off for the MC Control. I started a thread about this right before Christmas.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
My thoughts exactly (that is before I started using it). Try it out is all I can say. It's the unit where Application awareness really start to mean something - I'm surprised myself that I use it all the time...

You understand that you can put long chains of keycommands on the memory buttons? So it's a LOT of mouseclicks on one button.
I just started using the MC Control and so far, the only thing that is worth anything to me is the actual use of the wheel for Jog and Shuttle (mostly jog). Every other function is a duplicate of what already exists and is perfectly matched in the PT normal keyboard (if you know how to use it). I have been with PT for over 10 years and know all keyboard commands, all the shortcuts and I am very fast. There really is no need to have another bunch of buttons to press so one can do the same thing that the keyboard does. The only reason why I bought the MC Transport is for the wheel and to have a real "jog function" specifically for dialogue editing. As I found out even this function has a big flaw. When jog is engaged (or any other function of the controller) I loose control of my mouse and I can only regain control by un-engaging the MC Transport. So specific to dialoge editing it is a pain to have to engage the wheel, jog to locate spot (like clicks, pops, etc) but then have to "un-engage" the wheel so that the mouse can become active to use the pencil tool.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:54 PM

I have two MC Mixes, 1 MC Control and an MC Transport. All work really well. Although I don't use the MC Transport too much other than the nice wheel for zooming in and out. The 12 soft keys on the MC Control are fantastic. The touch screen is just ok. Not very responsive but usable. I have V1. I assume V2 is better. The MC Mixes are excellent. With 2 side by side, it gives me a nice consistent bank of 16 faders. Easy to mix with, easy to use the pans on the faders, and easy to adjust send levels on the faders as well. Good controllers for the money. Just cant get used to spending way over 10k for a controller that I know will be obsolete in a few years.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:19 PM

I use Memory locations a lot and since i got the MC Control, I set up 0-9 on the MC Transport to handle just that - just a tip on how you can assign functions according to your workflow. (You can do that with key commands as well, but not as quickly...)

Does any one of you guys know if the 12 function keys on the MC Control are supposed to have any Led colors - like yellow?
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 01-17-2011, 02:47 PM

i have the mc mix and mc control v1

I find both super useful, though the MC Mix IMO is a bit more useful -- if you know your key commands and don't need a surround panner...

I love the ability to quickly automate with the MIX -- the fader flip function is honestly one of the best damn tools around (quickly lets ya get any parameter under your fingers on a fader)

It is totally a work flow thing - I feel that i can get more musical results in a lot less time with the MC MIX due to the ease of use and slick faders

I have had to jump over the windows 7 for the 64 bit capabilities in cubase - and have been totally missing them (well now that the new drivers were announced it is just a waiting game)
When i flip back to the mac side... mixing is fun again as opposed to mouse click after mouse click

Also I am a composer, so adding speed to my workflow to accommodate nasty deadlines is a must!!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 PM

still weighing options so any other info out there. please shout it out!

Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 08:36 PM

don't think anything in the price range will be comparable -- the eucon protocol makes a huge difference as opposed to HUI (like the mackie units and i believe the SSL Nucleus)

I think there is another touch screen one out there

If all goes well with windows support, the artist series could easily become the industry standard control surface for small/mid sized studios