Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 10-08-2010, 03:26 AM

Default Recording Technique

When recording by myself - acoustic guitar or vocals - and using a live mic I have my laptop and all setting right beside me so that I can start/stop and create tracks yadda, yadda, yadda -

The problem is that my live mic picks up the fans from both my Glyph Drive and Laptop.

I thought about buying a long USB cable for the Fast Track and long extension for a second monitor, but I'm not sure how long thye make the cables, and a wireless mouse and keyboard and then placing everything in an adjacent room - but first I was wondering how others might be addressing this issue when recording solo?

Sureley I am not the first to encounter this. It's not horrible but a constant low hum and noticeable in soft songs. At least to me it is.

What techniques do you use to handle this?
Old 10-09-2010, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Recording Technique

I can only guess that you are using a condenser microphone. Those tend to be a bit more sensitive. You could use a dynamic microphone, instead of a condenser microphone (assuming that you are using a condenser microphone). You will sacrifice a degree of fidelity, but in exchange, you are more likely to record what you are intending to record, without picking up soft background noise.

Another alternative is to purchase a pickup for your acoustic guitar. There are some nice Dean Markley acoustic pickups that run in the nieghborhood of $50. You could then directly jack your guitar into your setup, and not worry about any background noise. I hope that helps. God bless.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:04 PM

This is a downside to home recording is that computers and drives do make noise----some are not so quiet and some are, but when amplified they are much louder than you think Let me suggest that you run a LONG VGA or DMI cable (depending upon your video connection) and LONG USB cables or do wireless to control what you see. While the video screen will be grainy compared to that in your laptop (if going too far) it will be fine to get the job done. I would also suggest to put some foam or some sort of "gobo" in between to help block off direct soundwave paths. Ideally if you can build yourself a small recording room or booth, even better. Something as simple as this works wonderful!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Primacou...98-i1532537.gc
blyons@gcpro.com
www.theaudioprofessional.com
Old 10-09-2010, 03:52 PM

Are you using a single mic at a distance for both vocal and guitar? If wo, then you're going to get more room noise of course. If so, I would try using two micas, or three, with two close micing the guitar. Not only may this be enough to solve the noise problem, but you'll get an overall better recording and more to work with for the mix.

If you're already doing this or simply prefer to use the single mic method, then your solution is really the only option - movingnthe offending noise sources away and isolating them.

Starting with the monitor, this will also tie you more screen real estate, so treat yourself to a 22" or larger monitor and get a long DVI cable from one of the online cable places. I don't know the length limitations, but vie been in many conference rooms where you connect your laptop to the projector, those cables have to be at least 15 feet.

Then it's a matter of the mouse and key board - either Bluetooth, or try to extend the USB receiver. You also could look into one of the hardware DAW controllers - I use the Faderport with a 12 ft USB cable and it works fine for transport control, arming tracks, etc.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:52 PM

I'll try the long cables in another room method. THat appears to be the easiest option. Thanks for the input.

Also since it was asked, I am using a single condensor microphone on one channel about at the 12th fret less than 6 inches from the guitar and then going directly from an onboard fishman into a second channel which gives me a real good blend with the guitar sound. I record the vocals seperately in a condensor mic also.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:40 AM

If you've got a MIDI keyboard you can control the transport via MIDI I think.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:38 AM

Had this noise problem over the summer recording vocals. I used the Oxygen to control and long cables -- USB max is 16 ft without a booster. Then since I still had bleed from the air conditioning, I ran the mic through the mic tube preamp then into a dbx 166xl for the noise gate/limiter. The way I set it was so the gate would shut when no singing. Open when singing. There was some underlying noise on the raw vox tracks but in a mix it wasn't noticeable at all.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)