Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-13-2017, 08:38 AM

Default Help! - ADC on RTAS Plugs in 10 HD Not Working!

Hi,
I recently started setting up a new internal drive thinking I'd move up from PT 9 HD2 (Mountain Lion) to PT 10 10.3.10 HD2 (Mavericks) - w/ Core / Accel cards, not HDX. Got everything installed nicely, all plugins updated, etc. Seems to run fine. But just today I started working on a basic session and noticed a weird phasey flangey-ness when I installed an RTAS compressor plug on one Aux for a parallel drum bus, while there was no plugin on the main Aux for the drum bus. ADC is turned on, active, and well below my Core/Accel threshold of 4,000 samples. Quick tests reveal that the DRY track is actually about 172 samples BEHIND the track with the RTAS compressor on it. So weird. Should be the other way around? In any case, it sucks. I've tried turning ADC off and on. It works fine with DSP plugs, but any Native RTAS plug does not compensate correctly and sounds like crap. I feel like I'm back in my Mix system days...

Anyone have any idea what's going on, or if there's a fix for it? If not, then I've completely wasted my time trying to setup 10, because it will be unusable...

Thanks! - Steve
Old 03-13-2017, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Help! - ADC on RTAS Plugs in 10 HD Not Working!

Hmmm, I never had an issue with this. 2 things come to mind:
1-try turning Delay compensation off and back on to see if the numbers change(assuming you are showing on the MIX window).
2-look for a send(on any track) that doesn't actually go anywhere. Sometimes I have a send that USED to feed some AUX track, but decided to not use it and deleted the AUX. The send that now had nothing to feed will cause 1920 samples of Delay Compensation for no reason(delete the send and all is well)

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-13-2017, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. Very simple session. No random Aux tracks or sends. Compensation amount stays the same when I turn ADC off and on.

Figured out that no matter what RTAS plugin I use, the delay compensation is off by 132 samples. If I put the Time Adjuster plugin on the track with the RTAS plug, set it to 132 samples, flip the phase, the signal disappears. In phase. Take the Time Adjuster plug off, flip the phase, you still hear a crappy signal. No cancellation. 132 samples off.

Could it be that I'm on Mavericks, technically not approved for PT 10 HD? (Although I've been running PT 9 on Mountain Lion without a hitch for years, also technically not approved for PT 9...)

Again, this is a Core/Accel HD2 system. Is it because I'm not on HDX...?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:17 AM

BUMP

Any thoughts?

I'm dead in the water using 10 HD unless I can figure out this mysterious 132 sample offset in ADC...
Old 03-17-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
BUMP

Any thoughts?

I'm dead in the water using 10 HD unless I can figure out this mysterious 132 sample offset in ADC...
I'm using 10.3.10 HD with Mavericks & haven't noticed an ADC challenge. Another thing to check is whether you're actually RTAS version. A lot of plugins, in the past anyway, had both AAX & RTAS versions. If you have both in your folders, by default PT 10 with use the AAX version. If you want it to use the RTAS version, need to remove the AAX one.
And the other thing I would advise is to avoid placing a native plugin after a TDM one. I found out that it tends to increase system instability. Things run much smoother when you insert all your native RTAS/AAX first in the strip, then insert TDM following those.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmprod View Post
... If you want it to use the RTAS version, need to remove the AAX one.
Thanks for the tip! Tried that as soon as I had a chance. Any of the plugs where I had both RTAS and AAX installed (UAD, PSP) I removed the AAX. Still same issue with ADC 132 samples off on Native plugs. Tried deleting RTAS and leaving AAX. Said "Plugin not found". Maybe they know I'm running a Core/Accel HD system, and specifically look for the RTAS version?

Anyway, that didn't help with the ADC problem. Then for the hell of it I tried creating a brand new session, and instead of using the .IO config files that I had imported from my PT9 system (so I didn't have to recreate them all from scratch), I had the new session use the default "Stereo" IO config. Suddenly Native ADC is working like a charm. So I think something in the format of the PT9 .IO files, when loaded into PT10 is causing the problem. Even though they load fine into PT10 and the IO looks as it should. I even noticed that if I have a working new session in PT10 with fresh IO settings, if I Import Session Data from one of the PT10 sessions where I had used my PT9 .IO files, it messes up the working session and suddenly I am getting the 132 sample ADC offset again on Native plugs. Weird, but I think that is probably it. Need to narrow it down a little more, make sure I've nailed it, because it seems like once a session gets messed up this way, there is no way to fix it without rendering tracks and starting a brand new session. Don't want to be working away in PT10 and suddenly have this start happening in working sessions...

Oh yeah, also - if I bring up sessions, as is, that were created in PT9, or PT11 or PT12, Native plugs and ADC work fine. It's only when I import the .IO files from PT9 it messes up...

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-18-2017, 08:16 AM

Glad you found problem. PT 10 only reads 32 bit AAX plugins. If its 64 bit, its not gonna show up. Need versions 11 & 12 for those.....