Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-25-2016, 03:20 AM

Default How to trim multiple Regions on GRID at once ?

I am sure there is a simple way, but I just have not found it yet... neither in the forum nor the manual nor by try & error...

I would like to trim MULTIPLE regions at once. Onto grid. But if I choose more than one region (i.e. using the "+ grabber tool") and then try trimming using the trimmer tool, only the one region my mouse is on changes it's size. In all other daw's I work with (Logic, Live, Nuendo...) ALL regions would change their size then, some at least when holding shift. Of course I tried the same procedure while holding shift, but still PT de-selects all other regions the moment I move the bundary of the one.

I specifically need this, as after using "strip silence" on imported stem tracks (music) I would like the boundaries to be on the beat. In grid mode, when I trim, the region is spot on then ... but only the ONE region, not all. And sometimes I have 10 or 20 regions on that track. Trimming each region by hand (what I do now) seems way to much hassle and I am sure there is a much more clever approach ... ?

Alternatively, if strip silence would have a "grid mode", not only a ms-time-default, that would be even better... then it would be done in one step !

I am still on PT 8 (for several reasons), I hope this sub-forum is still a good place for me to ask....

A new workflow would be a massive timesaver for me (and more fun to work) so thankx a lot ... !!

Hard: ProTools HD 3, PCI-e core & accel, 96 I/O, 192 digital I/O, HD MADI / Sync I/O (not sync HD)
Quad-Core Mac, Intel
Old 02-28-2017, 11:21 AM

Default Re: How to trim multiple Regions on GRID at once ?

Yes, it is a pain, not to be able to drag multiple object-selected clip starts or ends simultaneously, except by the nudge value !
A script might help. But I am not sure, if I understood your problem correctly.
The following prerequisites for the script :
a track with dummy clips, that are all of 1 bar length,
a timeline insertion to the first start of the first dummy clip.
This works with Autohotkey on Windows, but there a scripting apps for Mac.

The BOLD stuff is the necessary code, all behind // are just remarks

Menu, tray, tip, Trim Clip Start earlier to Grid
#CommentFlag //
#if, WinActive("ahk_class DigiFloaterClass") || WinActive("ahk_class DigiAppWndClass")

// Trim Clip Start towards the next Grid Line with a Dummy Track below
// Tab first to the Start of the first Dummy Clip
^F2:: // = Ctrl + F2
send {ShiftDown}{Tab}{ShiftUp} // selects the Dummy from Start to End
send p // moves Edit Selection up to the strip-silenced Clips
WinMenuSelectItem, Pro Tools, , Edit, Trim Clip, Start to Fill Selection // fills the Clip Start to the Beginmning of the Selection, which is the Grid Line
send ü // moves Edit Selection back to Dummy Track , it is "Ü" in German, take the proper command according to your keyboard layout
send {Up} // makes an Insertion at the Beginning of the next Dummy Clip
return

A demo of the code in realtime :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkxmqkoozo...cript.mp4?dl=0
I do it one time slowly, then undo, then do it again quicker.

The shortcut is assigned to Ctrl F2, but can of course be assigned to whatever free shortcut.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060

Last edited by joachim; 03-19-2017 at 05:20 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:33 AM

Default Re: How to trim multiple Regions on GRID at once ?

A script of this kind is smarter, works without a dummy, extends a selected clip to the left to the nearest beat :
send /
send Arrow right
send Arrow right
send 0
send Enter
WinMenuSelectItem, Pro Tools, , Edit, Trim Clip, Start to Fill Selection
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060