How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2014, 01:40 PM

Default Sony Soundforge 2 app store offer

Just kinda off topic heads up.

Iīm aware of that this has neither to do with Pro Tools itself nor with AAX plug ins etc. actually
but I wanted to post it as some of the users here (not the big pros of course) could benefit from
this offer.

Soundforge is a very well sounding, professional app which can be an useful
addition to Pro Tools as it is a cool home-mastering-suite as well as a quick audio
editor if thereīs no need for opening a multitrack session.

There are 2 versions available for Mac.
The large version with many plugins included for $299.95
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SoundForgeM2/

and the new basic version with the same professional audio engine
(16/24/32bit float/64bit float, 44.1-192KHz) and all the editing functions
for only $79.99 for a limited time.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/soundforge2
This is a cool offer IMO.
You can use all your plugins as 64bit AU and VST-version with this version too.

So whoever might be interested and may need this, grab it as long it is available
for that cool low price.

Hope you others donīt mind as this is no Pro Tools subject at all I know.

Anyway.

All the best,

VRW

MacMini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.9.4, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2, Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10,
Pro Tools 11.2, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia etc
Old 08-09-2014, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Sony Soundforge 2 app store offer

Thanks for the info. I will check this out. Although I'm pretty sure they don't have CD butning, which is frustrating.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:45 PM

FWIW, if you drive a Hackintosh, don't bother with Sound Forge for Mac. Sound Forge literally will not authorize on a Hackintosh and Sony Creative won't provide any support.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 08-09-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Thanks for the info. I will check this out. Although I'm pretty sure they don't have CD butning, which is frustrating.
You are right, Sony does not offer a CD burning option within Soundforge for Mac
unlike to their PC version which does have one.
No idea why they donīt provide it in the Mac version?

Anyway there is kinda solution for that which I use myself.

This professional (Red Book) CD burn application can be used as standalone version
as well as a plugin within a DAW/Audio Editor.
Means you could insert it as the last plugin in the chain e.g. and use it directly in
Soundforge (this also works in Pro Tools if required).
http://hofa-plugins.de/pages/start_e...urn-ddp_en.php

Itīs $69.99 for the plugin or the standalone version only, about $130.- for both.
The advantage with this one is that you can demo it.
Itīs a 14 days fully functioning demo which enables you to find out if it would work for you.

If you would want to buy the plugin version only or both, you would have to get it from their webshop.
https://hofa-shop.com/erp/shop__Over...25::352__en_GB

If you would want to buy only the standalone version, you also could get it from the Mac App store.
https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/id597861582#

The plugin version comes as AU, VST, AAX, RTAS, 32+64bit.

As to Soundforge once again, I personally had used it in former days on PC and really loved it
for itīs exceptional sound quality.

As I changed to Mac then there was no comparable (Mastering-) Audio Editor available
as to the audio quality IMO.

Itīs the pristine sound quality I still love at the Mac version.
This is why I use it again despite some limitations compared to the PC version.
IMO itīs the best sounding one of this type of applications.

Anyway.
Just wanted to share a possible solution for the missing CD burn function.

All the best again everybody,

VRW

MacMini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.9.4, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2, Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10,
Pro Tools 11.2, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia etc
Old 08-09-2014, 08:04 PM

Can you elaborate on the sound quality thing? Are you talking about the plugins that are built into the program, or are you saying that simply importing your mix into the software automatically sounds better vs. other programs, or something else entirely? I would like to know more about that.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:06 AM

I better should not have talked about that ... itīs like opening "Pandoraīs Box", you know, as this is one of the most controversial subjects
in the audio business.

There are 2 factions outthere actually.
1 saying there are differences noticeable/audible in the sound (quality)/in the "character" of the sound between different software applications,
another one saying thatīs all nonsense as itīs all only 0s and 1s and only what oneself is tweaking and doing with it will influence the result.

Obviously itīs time to confess being one of the guys of faction 1.
I personally on the other hand have no problem if anyone else will be calling
it nonsense as everybody should be free to go his own personal way, to do what one think might be best for oneself.

From my personal experience (and I have met several pros who even have had chart success and knew what they were doing thinking this way too)
I have noticed over the last 20 years Iīve been in this business that even software applications seem to have kinda "sound".
Or more that each seems to have a specific sound "character".

If you import a final track of a high end production into different DAWs/Audio Editors and you play it back with the same audio interface,
with the exact same settings, without any plugins inserted and without any tweaking at all, this song will sound slightly different in each of the applications.
The differences are really marginal indeed but there are ones however.

Just a high end made song imported on a plain track routed the exact same way in every application directly to the Master out without anything in between.

The exact same song does sound marginally different in Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Nuendo (yeah, even between Cubase and Nuendo there are differences in the
sound character), Reaper, Sony Soundforge, Sony Acid, Steinberg Wavelab etc. etc.

Iīve worked with all these applications through the years a lot and tested this
phenomenon a hundred times and always have come to my personal conclusion that there IS a difference.
As mentioned before Iīm not the only one and itīs not a thing between amateurs
and professionals as many professionals share this opinion although many of them avoid to talk about that in public.

To me personal Pro Tools offers the definitely finest "sound quality" of all DAWs,
Sony Soundforge is my personal favorite at those specific kind of Audio Editors.

However fact is (and that is where we definitely agree with the guys of the "denying faction") that you can work with any modern DAW
and Audio Editor to achieve professional high quality results.
Finally it IS up to the operator (and of course all the "sources") what the final product will sound like.

So everybody is free to try it out for himself. Some will notice it, others will call it bullish.t.

Anyway.
Good music and professional productions can be made with each of the DAWs/Audio Editors out there, thatīs for sure.

No harm meant everybody!

All the best,

VRW

Old 08-10-2014, 04:12 AM

CD burning in SF2 Pro or the new stripped version - where do I start?

I'm a long time user of Soundforge in various versions on my old Windows machine which I still keep around running SF9 Pro for certain things it does that nothing else does as easily. When I got my present PT daw setup I was ecstatic that Sony was developing a Mac version as I needed this type of program on a Mac; my other options were Adobe Audition (which I eventually got) or Wavelab. The reason I ended up with Audition was CD burning as I never was able to do burning inside iTunes.

I went round and round with Sony development and support on the CD burning thing and one answer I got back was it'll be added in a future update. When that didn't happen I got back with Sony and they said it wasn't included because they didn't think there was a need for CD burning anymore. When I told them they have integral CD burning in SF Pro 10 on Windows (before SF10 CD burning was a separate Sony program that came with SF9) and other things that the Windows version had they said SF Mac was a complete rewrite and to not expect everything that was in the Windows version in the Mac version.

The Mac version is also a completely different way of working than the Windows version. Also be aware there are several bugs or features not yet implemented in SF Mac that Sony hasn't taken an interest in fixing or adding. Sony has an abysmal support record for fixing things as evidenced by reading their forums.

QAPLA!
Old 08-18-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
You are right, Sony does not offer a CD burning option within Soundforge for Mac
unlike to their PC version which does have one.
No idea why they donīt provide it in the Mac version?

Anyway there is kinda solution for that which I use myself.

This professional (Red Book) CD burn application can be used as standalone version
as well as a plugin within a DAW/Audio Editor.
Means you could insert it as the last plugin in the chain e.g. and use it directly in
Soundforge (this also works in Pro Tools if required).
http://hofa-plugins.de/pages/start_e...urn-ddp_en.php

Itīs $69.99 for the plugin or the standalone version only, about $130.- for both.
The advantage with this one is that you can demo it.
Itīs a 14 days fully functioning demo which enables you to find out if it would work for you.

If you would want to buy the plugin version only or both, you would have to get it from their webshop.
https://hofa-shop.com/erp/shop__Over...25::352__en_GB

If you would want to buy only the standalone version, you also could get it from the Mac App store.
https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/id597861582#

The plugin version comes as AU, VST, AAX, RTAS, 32+64bit.

As to Soundforge once again, I personally had used it in former days on PC and really loved it
for itīs exceptional sound quality.

As I changed to Mac then there was no comparable (Mastering-) Audio Editor available
as to the audio quality IMO.

Itīs the pristine sound quality I still love at the Mac version.
This is why I use it again despite some limitations compared to the PC version.
IMO itīs the best sounding one of this type of applications.

Anyway.
Just wanted to share a possible solution for the missing CD burn function.

All the best again everybody,

VRW

yes it is very said that sony did not offer a CD burning option within Soundforge for Mac , i am searching for alternative.