Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-13-2010, 04:48 AM

Default Can I record with insert effect?

I have a large archive job involving recording many stems to files. All the files need to be limited to -10dB for broadcast purposes.

They way I have it set up is that the buss for each stem has a send to a track which acts as the record track.

I sometimes ride the busses up if needed so I can't add the limiter to the busses. What would be great is if I could insert the limiter on the actual record track and have the result recorded into the file. This would save time applying the limiter as an AudioSuite process.

I know I could create a set of aux input strips, put the limiters on those and send them to the record tracks but this seems like creating lots of extra tracks in projects with many tracks already

Does anyone know if it is possible to record with an insert?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Can I record with insert effect?

Why don't you insert the limiter on the audio track where your audio is?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 AM

It's quite a complex TV dubbing mix setup and I have to deliver Dialogue, Voice Over, Atmos and Music separately. And these stems must add up to the final mix to make reversioning of the programme as easy and cheap as possible for the production company. Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
It's quite a complex TV dubbing mix setup and I have to deliver Dialogue, Voice Over, Atmos and Music separately. And these stems must add up to the final mix to make reversioning of the programme as easy and cheap as possible for the production company. Thanks
Right, and therefore I still don't understand why you can't use plugins on the actual audio tracks.

Maybe if you explain how you route things it would be easier to fully understand.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:20 AM

ok so I have maybe 6 tracks with dialogue that go to a dialogue buss. If having done the first mix pass I want to relatively lift the dialogue I just need to ride up the dialogue buss - also this is a good way of getting more level if a scene was recorded too low. The same goes for music (gets summed to a bus), Atmos&FX and Narration (sometimes more than one narrator). These busses/stems are all summed to a mix buss which is limited for the delivery of the final 2-track mix. That all works fine.

When it comes to delivering international stem mixes I want to limit post-buss fader - downstream of any final rides I do any stem, because I need the international stems to be limited to -10dB. If I were to limit the dialogue tracks themselves, or the dialogue buss for that matter, any rides on the buss would make the international track rise up to illegal levels.

One thing though, do you know whether recording with an insert on the track is possible at all?

thanks for your reply
Old 04-13-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttothebeat View Post
I have a large archive job involving recording many stems to files. All the files need to be limited to -10dB for broadcast purposes.

They way I have it set up is that the buss for each stem has a send to a track which acts as the record track.

I sometimes ride the busses up if needed so I can't add the limiter to the busses. What would be great is if I could insert the limiter on the actual record track and have the result recorded into the file. This would save time applying the limiter as an AudioSuite process.

I know I could create a set of aux input strips, put the limiters on those and send them to the record tracks but this seems like creating lots of extra tracks in projects with many tracks already

Thanks
In this scenario you wouldn't set up auxes to process the stems with plugins, you would create a master fader for each bus, and insert whatever plugins you want to there. At least I would.

Wait, do you mean that you already have auxes where the audio comes in? Then insert plugins there, they will record to the audio track.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:23 AM

Hi Ben

You just quoted me but left of the post I think - were you going to shed some light?! Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Inserts are post-fader, so is is not possible to record the insert on the record track.

What I would do, is bring your sources into Aux tracks, assign their outputs to stem busses, and use a Master fader for each stem bus output. Put your multi-channel limiters on the Master faders, and you will limit going to the record tracks. Assign your record track outputs to your monitors and you can listen to the combined stems as you record.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Inserts are post-fader, so is is not possible to record the insert on the record track.
The only inserts that are post-fader are those found on Master faders. The rest are pre-fader.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
The only inserts that are post-fader are those found on Master faders. The rest are pre-fader.
Right you are, sir, I stand corrected! But they still won't be recorded when placed on a record track since they process the audio on playback. Thanks.