Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2017, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Random CPU Spikes (-9173 errors)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicland View Post
Sierra 10.12.6, PT 12.8 and yes Studio One reads AU as well as VST 2 & 3.

Could be an AAX issue but I'm still baffled at how I can play the PT Demo song without any issues. It uses a ton of plugins.
Hmmm so upgrading to 10/12/6 won't help me so (Im 10.12.1).

Yes THAT's strange. But you get closer to the solution with that !
Old 08-23-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Here's another test I've just done.

10 tracks of audio in Studio One (acoustic gtr and vocals) with no plugins used 3% CPU. Inserted SoundToys SieQ to each track brought it up to 6%, inserting Waves H-Delay to each track brought it up to 9%, song played without problems.

Same 10 tracks of audio in Pro Tools with no plugins used 1% CPU. Inserting SoundToys SieQ to each track brought it up to 15%, inserting Waves H-Delay to each track brought it up to a fluctuating 15 to 30%, song played about 20 seconds and then stopped with a 9173 error.

I then deleted all the inserts from PT and inserted only Avid plugins. 7 Band EQ on each track, no problem, BF76 on each track no problem, started adding D-Verb to each track and halfway through got the 9173 error. So even with Avid plugins exclusively, I'm still having major problems. I'm still baffled at how the PT demo can run without errors.

My last effort will be an uninstall and reinstall of PT, we'll see if that helps.

EDIT: Did an uninstall and reinstall of PT, didn't help. Hate to leave PT but I don't see what else I can do. Studio One here I come.
You have to check the buffer for both I would think for this comparison.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
You have to check the buffer for both I would think for this comparison.C
Buffer was maximum for PT, don't know what it is for S1 but it can't be greater than maximum so the comparison is valid. FWIW, I'm not trying to compare PT to S1, i'm just looking for a solution and this test has shown me a lot.

As far as getting closer to a solution, I don't think there's anything else I can do. I'm gonna run more tests on Studio One before I switch but it's been very stable so far so I think it's inevitable.

Cheers to all who have a smooth running PT system, I wish I did.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:15 PM

Default Random CPU Spikes (-9173 errors)

Quote:
Could be an AAX issue but I'm still baffled at how I can play the PT Demo song without any issues. It uses a ton of plugins.

That is one of the more interesting observations I have read with respect to the CPU errors. I have never tried the demo song.

Curious. What if you delete all plugins and audio in the demo session, keeping all the routings the same and try your plugin test again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-24-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnssn View Post
That is one of the more interesting observations I have read with respect to the CPU errors. I have never tried the demo song.

Curious. What if you delete all plugins and audio in the demo session, keeping all the routings the same and try your plugin test again?
Good idea! I removed all the VI's and FX and then started adding Waves H-Delay to each channel. I got about 25 instances of it when I got my first 9173 error at about 25% CPU (highest buffer setting). Did the same with other fx and got the same result so I don't think its Waves.

I also ran my Studio One test again by continuously adding 3rd party fx to each track and got more than 100 running and I'm only at 50% CPU, not a hint of sluggishness.

No more testing for me! Whatever's killing PT isn't affecting Studio One. Now I just have to find the money, found a quarter behind the sofa, this will be fun.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Good idea! I removed all the VI's and FX and then started adding Waves H-Delay to each channel. I got about 25 instances of it when I got my first 9173 error at about 25% CPU (highest buffer setting). Did the same with other fx and got the same result so I don't think its Waves.

I also ran my Studio One test again by continuously adding 3rd party fx to each track and got more than 100 running and I'm only at 50% CPU, not a hint of sluggishness.

No more testing for me! Whatever's killing PT isn't affecting Studio One. Now I just have to find the money, found a quarter behind the sofa, this will be fun.
Thanks totally crazy, something is really going wrong, can Avid chime in ? If someone know how tell them to chime in.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilla View Post
, can Avid chime in ? If someone know how tell them to chime in.

Support case
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Support case
Already did, never had an answer and it was a pain to do (giving a lot of information for nothing)
Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 PM

Unbelievable! It's freakin' back! The spikes are back even though the culprit de-esser is out of the plug-ins folder. It was working fine for awhile (although the spikes still might have been there just not going all the way to 100% possibly). Now it doesn't happen as frequently but man just doing nothing you watch the System Usage meter jumping up there and it's maddening. Truly. It has to stop. Avid PLEASE make an PT activity monitor so we can see what plug-ins or processes are causing problems so we can weed them out and get back to work!!! Otherwise I'm literally forced to switch DAWS (not in the middle of this mix but after? Maybe so. Damn. That sucks.)
Old 08-25-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davod View Post
Unbelievable! It's freakin' back! The spikes are back even though the culprit de-esser is out of the plug-ins folder. It was working fine for awhile (although the spikes still might have been there just not going all the way to 100% possibly). Now it doesn't happen as frequently but man just doing nothing you watch the System Usage meter jumping up there and it's maddening. Truly. It has to stop. Avid PLEASE make an PT activity monitor so we can see what plug-ins or processes are causing problems so we can weed them out and get back to work!!! Otherwise I'm literally forced to switch DAWS (not in the middle of this mix but after? Maybe so. Damn. That sucks.)
A shame...