Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2003, 11:21 PM

Default Mackie HR824 monitors

Hey, I know there are a billion threads on monitors, but i have a more specific questions for those who use/have used this pair...

Talking to another seasoned engineer, they felt these were feel good monitors...as in, they enhance your output, not giving an honest representation of the program material...does anyone else feel this way? any mix translation problems? i'm currently using passive Event 20/20's and found a good deal on a pair of these, but if im going to have the same problems as the events (poor translation) then im not going to take advantage of it. Anyone else have some input on this? Thanks!!!
Old 11-21-2003, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Mackie HR824 monitors

I always felt like my mixes were too bright on them, and I would go back and add hi end until slightly uncomfortable at mix levels. Then the mix would translate well to other systems.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:57 AM

I have the Event 20/20s and don't suffer from poor translation. But I also mix on auratones and a JBL system with a sub. I like the Events as my middle system. I also have a good room. I never liked the Mackies because they sound like, well, the mackies. You know "that sound" as soon as you hear them, some like it, some don't. The key is to know the sound of your speakers and room in combination. Good luck....
Old 11-21-2003, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I always felt like my mixes were too bright on them, and I would go back and add hi end until slightly uncomfortable at mix levels. Then the mix would translate well to other systems.
I have had the same experience with dull mixes. Eventually I just flipped the little switch that attenuates some high end and now my mixes come out just right. Honestly I believe that the problem most users have (myself included) is the lack of a properly treated control room, which leads to a perceived weakness in the monitors. My room is very reflective and as a result is a tad on the bright side.

I like my HR824's.

Old 11-21-2003, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I dont get it. If your mixes were bright, why would you add high end.

I have had my 824's for about a month, and after they burned in a bit, treated my room and experimented with placement, they sound awesome. I am nearly ready to mix/master a few tracks and am very curious to play them on other systems.

I'd also like another smaller pair of monitors. I was looking at M-Audio. Something really simple and cheap to A/B with.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 11-21-2003, 09:14 AM

Ive been using those monitors for the past 2yrs. They really make u work on getting a good mix. With other program material such as already mastered cd's they sound awesome. I listen to alot of old funk music with my dad (Buddy Miles at the top of the list) on these speakers and the detail on them is awesome. I roll the lows at 47hz or 80hz when mixing and dont mess with the highs. At first my mixes were coming out a bit muddy and lacking in the midrange. But when I would listen to other material on them, there the midrange would be. Theyve been the most challenging to mix on compared to KRK, JBL, or Genlec IMHO. I also have a pair of M-Audio 5 inch set of speakers that i use for real world comparison that i just got resently. The combo for me is letting get thicker on the mixes (just like good ole analog) without going overboard on the low end, and workin well for getting the mids in place. I put up a post yesterday that has a song that im workin on thats being mixed with HR824's. I like them an believe top notch mixes can come from them. Just like everything else, it takes work.

Hector Ramirez
www.dsdstudios.net
[email protected]
Old 11-21-2003, 09:46 AM

Do you like the M-Audio 5 inch? I am thinking of getting them as well.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 11-21-2003, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I dont get it. If your mixes were bright, why would you add high end.

My mix would be fine when played back on the 824's, but going to most other systems sounded like mud. I would have to add more high end to compensate for the brightness of the 824's. Possibly the room/placement.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:03 PM

Theres a high frequency roll off switch on the back of the 824.
I have mine sounding very close to Genelecs.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:09 PM

I have used the 824's in and out for about 4 years in various studios.

What I have found is they tend to 'color' the sound, making you work significantly
harder to get an appropriate mix.

The suggestions already listed here are good ones to follow, especially the HF roll off.

However, I've never tended to like the Bass/Mid range of the HR 824's.

Don't get me wrong: they sound amazing, especially on already mastered CD's. But they
make you think your project may already sound a certain way, when in fact - it does not.