Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 10-14-2014, 02:26 PM

Default Mixing with exciter plugins

hi guys, i have noticed the sound of exciters in many many albums and was wondering how you guys go around using harmonic exciters in your mixing. i have one that i personally use by Waves, "aphex-vintage-aural-exciter". i use it on the drum buss, the vocal buss and master buss. sometimes i group and buss the band, so i will have it there as well. and i don't hit it hard as you know that the group buss is not a place to go crazy with processing.

i'm just wondering how do you guys use your harmonic exciters. i read in one other forum that some use it on almost all individual channels to color the mix and beef up the sound through harmonic enhancement. alright fellows....how do you go around this?
Old 10-14-2014, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Mixing with exciter plugins

Hi.

I'v recently started playing around with the Air Enhancer plugin.
After some tweaking I pretty much use it on every track to brighten and fatten up everything from vocals, kicks, pianos, synths, etc...
I usually set and forget the Harmonic Generation Depth to 12dB and Tune Low to 640Hz and adjust the high tune to taste.

Used together with the stock Lo-Fi plugin it also works as a de-esser.

It does add some distortion but in a good way to my ears. I start with the High Tune at 10kHz and lower untill desired effect.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:03 PM

I will check those two plugins thanks
Old 10-25-2014, 06:45 PM

Yes Chris, the Air Enhancer is nice.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOlek SA View Post
hi guys, i have noticed the sound of exciters in many many albums and was wondering how you guys go around using harmonic exciters in your mixing. i have one that i personally use by Waves, "aphex-vintage-aural-exciter". i use it on the drum buss, the vocal buss and master buss. sometimes i group and buss the band, so i will have it there as well. and i don't hit it hard as you know that the group buss is not a place to go crazy with processing.

i'm just wondering how do you guys use your harmonic exciters. i read in one other forum that some use it on almost all individual channels to color the mix and beef up the sound through harmonic enhancement. alright fellows....how do you go around this?
i use a little bit on vocals and on full mixes. easy to overdo it though. but really sounds good when done right.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:54 AM

Yeah I heard good things about the Aphex.

It's also popular on piano, drums & bass.

Haven't used it much myself since I have Vitamin... also recommended

http://www.waves.com/plugins/vitamin...s-with-vitamin

The Aphex, I believe pulls it's signature sound from several tubes stacked together, so one excites the other, I think. There is also some funky thing going on between the phase relationship of the signal as it passes from one stage to the next, or even if it is in bypass. The controls on the front channel allow to blend some of these sounds together so you can mix them in to taste.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:07 AM

Hey guys,

Recently discovered Air Enhancer plugin and the Lo-Fi plugin and i like them both a lot.
Actually, I haven't found similar plugin to the Air Enhancer. It adds some very ear-pleasing distortion and if used correctly can make wonders.

Anyone found any similar plugin ?

Alex
Old 02-05-2015, 01:10 PM

I'll give a +1 to Vitamin from Waves

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave