Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 07:34 AM

Default Signal generator out of phase

Hey,
When i insert a signal generator on any track; Master, Aux, Audio, it is always out of phase. Does anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix it? Many thanks, Garret
Old 11-30-2005, 07:57 AM
Avid

Default Re: Signal generator out of phase

What are you comparing it to? When you say 'out of phase' are you possibly referring to polarity, as opposed to an actual time-based phase shift?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:30 AM

I recall that I once instantiated two signal generators on two seperate aux inputs (set to the same frequency and level on both), and they completely canceled. I was very surprised indeed. There were no other plugins running that could have altered the phase on either aux. The shift appeared to be 180 degrees, since the tone vanished when both were up.

Ben B
Old 11-30-2005, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I recall that I once instantiated two signal generators on two seperate aux inputs (set to the same frequency and level on both), and they completely canceled.
Why not instanciate a single sig gen, then bus it? If you were working on an analog console, would you plug in a new sig gen per track? Of course not. In fact, I don't know too many studios who own more than one quality generator per room.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:05 AM

Hey,
Yeah sorry i mean polarity. When i play it out to my phase meter its out. If i record the tone and pan it back towards mono a bit it becomes ok but i'm confused why the signal generator is playing back weird... By the way its a stereo sig gen obviously
Old 11-30-2005, 09:08 AM

Hi there!
I just check in my PT7 to Signal generators running at once with same frecuency same level. Results: every thing seems to be ok. No signal cancelation. Did you started both at the same time?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:02 PM

Garrett,

does the problem manifest itself on all your sessions or just one in particular? If the answer is “all sessions,” do you create new sessions from scratch or via template? I ask these questions because whenever I encounter a corrupted PT session, it usually “features” otherwise inexplicable “phase” issues. Creating a brand new session from scratch, and then importing all tracks from the original session, always fixed the problem.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 12-01-2005, 02:55 AM

Hey,
Andre this happens on every session irrespective of if I open a brand new session or open a template. Its pretty confusing because the mixes are completly fine its just the sig gen. Cheers
Old 12-01-2005, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Hey,
When i insert a signal generator on any track; Master, Aux, Audio, it is always out of phase. Does anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix it? Many thanks, Garret
a signal generator on a mono track is out of phase? relative to what?

frank.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:55 AM

Hey Frank,
On any stereo track,aux,master its out of phase. Reading it through my chromatec.