Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2024, 11:29 AM

Default Carbon Converter Delay

I'm trying to get some specs on the converter delay for Carbon (AD to Digital Out, and Digital In to the DA).

I'm using a Carbon in the Pre mode for some specific tasks and need to know how many samples the converter latency is.

Best I can tell, the AD is 8 samples at 48kHz, but I am hoping to get confirmation.

Ideally, the specs for both AD and DA at 44.1kHz, 48kHz, and 96kHz, but at minimum I need the delay specs for 48kHz for both AD and DA.

Hopefully someone has that info.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2024, 11:33 AM
Avid

Default Re: Carbon Converter Delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
I'm trying to get some specs on the converter delay for Carbon (AD to Digital Out, and Digital In to the DA).

I'm using a Carbon in the Pre mode for some specific tasks and need to know how many samples the converter latency is.

Best I can tell, the AD is 8 samples at 48kHz, but I am hoping to get confirmation.

Ideally, the specs for both AD and DA at 44.1kHz, 48kHz, and 96kHz, but at minimum I need the delay specs for 48kHz for both AD and DA.

Hopefully someone has that info.

Thanks!
Hi Matt!

Is this what you were referring to?
https://www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-carbon/specs

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 03-08-2024, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tope d View Post
Hi Matt!

Is this what you were referring to?
https://www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-carbon/specs
Hi, no. Best I can tell, Carbon is 10.5 samples converter/routing delay at 48kHz on the AD side. No confirmation from AVID so far. This would be using Carbon in Carbon Pre mode, but the conversion delay should be the same into PT, it's just that PT will know and compensate for that already.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:42 AM

What interface do you have the Carbon (in Pre mode) connected to?

Do separate input and output latencies matter or just the RTL?

If you are using this for an analog inserts... then you can set up a TOSLINK loopback and send a click signal through that insert you can measure/null out the RTL with ADC +/- adjustment and then break that TOSLINK loopback and insert the Carbon into that. Then measure/null out that latency.

If whatever this is connected to has a mic or analog input and outputs then you do a click/clap test and just adjust measure the offsets, you can then record clicks out of the outputs i to one of the mics and measure their offsets. If you really want numbers you likely know the interface latency IO specs so can calculate the other.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:53 PM

Thanks, Darryl. I'm needing just the AD value for measurement purposes. I have a couple other converters that spec their latency, but they don't add up correctly (I suspect they're adding a few samples for routing the AD to the ADAT out that isn't included in their measurements. Because of that, I still don't have exact numbers. It's easy to get the RTL, of course, but I can't separate the AD from the DA and confirm the measurements.