Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2024, 02:22 PM
Avid

Default Re: B-Stock Carbon 24-bit vs 32-bit

Hey all!

There was a period of time where we’re facing component availability struggles, so a small batch of 24 bit Carbon’s were produced to help bridge any gaps in production. We fortunately were able to continue manufacturing the 32 bit Carbon without ever needing to put the 24 bit units into the market.

Eventually it was decided to sell these units as BStock, noting that they run at 24 bit, since some customers would find this more than enough for their needs.

It is simple to identify the 24 bit units by their Part Number, 9900-74103-10, all other deviations of this Part Number are the full 32 bit.

I hope this clears up any confusion!

Mark
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 01-02-2024, 06:40 PM

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the information. I recently pulled the trigger on a b-stock unit from Sweetwater and expect to receive later this week. I don't see 24-bit being a limiting factor in my workflow and hopefully the discount will offset any potential 32-bit FOMO.

Regards,

B
Old 01-03-2024, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomspot View Post
Hello Mark,

Thanks for the information. I recently pulled the trigger on a b-stock unit from Sweetwater and expect to receive later this week. I don't see 24-bit being a limiting factor in my workflow and hopefully the discount will offset any potential 32-bit FOMO.

Regards,

B
IMO that is a great deal I have the 32 bit capable version and honestly never use it .
And depending on what one is doing 24 will be just fine. I have 5 user defined session templates with only one set up as 32 bit the rest are 24 .And have yet to actually record using it ..

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 01-03-2024 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've checked out some of your videos and other Carbon related posts. My Carbon is on track to deliver this weekend & I'm looking forward to setting it up seeing how it all works.

I currently have a perpetual PT Studio license so I'll likely hold off on activating the included Ultimate license until the need arises. It appears Studio and Ultimate almost have feature parity when it comes to audio.

Cheers,

B
Old 01-04-2024, 02:19 AM

I stand corrected!

Thanks to Tope and Mark for the clarification.

It's good to have this written in black and white - but it does make buying a second-hand Carbon a bit (more) of a minefield, given all the license confusion too......

Dominic
Old 01-04-2024, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
I stand corrected!

Thanks to Tope and Mark for the clarification.

It's good to have this written in black and white - but it does make buying a second-hand Carbon a bit (more) of a minefield, given all the license confusion too......

Dominic
Not clear on what you are saying. Would seem that yes buying a second had Carbon can be problematic as far as license

But not clear on how buying a brand new B stock would make buying a used any more problematic

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-04-2024, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Not clear on what you are saying. Would seem that yes buying a second had Carbon can be problematic as far as license

But not clear on how buying a brand new B stock would make buying a used any more problematic
Yes, exactly as you say. Two different scenarios.
First scenario: Buying a second-hand Carbon is complicated because you never know what license you are getting, or what you are entitled to. See the very very long threads on Carbon licensing (which you contributed to). Now, if you're buying a second-hand Carbon (from some random guy on the internet) you ALSO need to check whether it's a 24bit or 32bit box (unless you don't care, which personally I do).

Second scenario: Buying a brand new B stock 24 bit item is not any more problematic than it was. It's the same. It's a B-stock 24bit item. Just as you say.

Dominic
Old 01-04-2024, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Yes, exactly as you say. Two different scenarios.
First scenario: Buying a second-hand Carbon is complicated because you never know what license you are getting, or what you are entitled to. See the very very long threads on Carbon licensing (which you contributed to). Now, if you're buying a second-hand Carbon (from some random guy on the internet) you ALSO need to check whether it's a 24bit or 32bit box (unless you don't care, which personally I do).

Second scenario: Buying a brand new B stock 24 bit item is not any more problematic than it was. It's the same. It's a B-stock 24bit item. Just as you say.

Dominic
Ah ok get it now and Yes I remember all threads about the licenses

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-08-2024, 06:27 AM

I received the Carbon yesterday and so far so good with the hardware. The unit is dead silent & monitoring thru DSP is solid. I spent an hour playing guitar through a Softube dsp amp, very nice!

This is off topic but I was expecting to receive an Ultimate license in my account but it appears to have extended my perpetual Studio license starting now until next January even though my current plan isn't set to expire until June of this year. I selected the parachute option with the understanding that the Ultimate license would be added to my products not yet downloaded section. Nothing added there.

I opened a case with the chatbot hoping I don't have to pay for support: Case#: 04737529

B
Old 01-08-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomspot View Post
I received the Carbon yesterday and so far so good with the hardware. The unit is dead silent & monitoring thru DSP is solid. I spent an hour playing guitar through a Softube dsp amp, very nice!

This is off topic but I was expecting to receive an Ultimate license in my account but it appears to have extended my perpetual Studio license starting now until next January even though my current plan isn't set to expire until June of this year. I selected the parachute option with the understanding that the Ultimate license would be added to my products not yet downloaded section. Nothing added there.

I opened a case with the chatbot hoping I don't have to pay for support: Case#: 04737529

B
I have no Idea how Avid will handle the license situation on the reduced price B stock

Seems you have two things to get answered
#1 If remember correctly the initial offering on the full price Carbons was either a year extension of an existing license OR the optional "parachute" but not both ?

#2 Eventually Avid changed and decided to simply offer 1 year of Perpetual PT Ultimate which is renewable (but at the Ultimate renew price ) But wether they will honor that on a B Stock is the question

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...