Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2015, 02:01 AM

Default Input Volume Displaying Incorrectly ( -5 db)

Hi,

I'm having a slight issue, I opened up protools for the first time in a couple of weeks and when I'm recording the loudest the level meter will get when a track is record enable is -5db.

It does this no matter what, whether I increase the gain or the fader. Even when its clipping it's still at -5db.

I'm sure i'm missing a setting or something basic but after a quick Google search im still unable to work it out.

Chain is 2i2- UA Twin Finity 710 - Sm7b or U87Ai

Cheers

Thanks in advance
Old 03-29-2015, 02:25 AM

Default Input Volume Displaying Incorrectly ( -5 db)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeally View Post
Hi,

I'm having a slight issue, I opened up protools for the first time in a couple of weeks and when I'm recording the loudest the level meter will get when a track is record enable is -5db.

It does this no matter what, whether I increase the gain or the fader. Even when its clipping it's still at -5db.

I'm sure i'm missing a setting or something basic but after a quick Google search im still unable to work it out.

Chain is 2i2- UA Twin Finity 710 - Sm7b or U87Ai

Cheers

Thanks in advance
What meter are you looking at the track meter on the input or the master fader meter?

What plugins do you have on that track? Bypass them all.

What do you mean "even when clipping it is still at 0dB"? You can hear it clipping? That may be analog distortion.

Exact Pro Tools version? Normal or HD? What meter type is selected?

You in pre or post fader metering mode? Go into post fader and slide the fader up all the way, does the meter hit 0dBFS?

No? Post screen shots of the mix window showing as much detail as possible.

What do you have connected into exactly what connector using what cable type at each stage of the. And what is everything set to... like PADs and gain on the preamp. (have you used this preamp much, it's complex enough to easily make mistakes with)... and you need an XLR female to 1/4" TRS male cable to connect that to your interface (you can't use the XLR in on the 2i2... are you trying to do that?).

Get rid of the external preamp and plug your Mic into the 2i2 preamp and see if that works. If not swap mics/cables and check phantom power voltages from the 2i2 (for use with the Neumann).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-29-2015 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Input Volume Displaying Incorrectly ( -5 db)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What meter are you looking at the track meter on the input or the master fader meter?

What plugins do you have on that track? Bypass them all.

What do you mean "even when clipping it is still at 0dB"? You can hear it clipping? That may be analog distortion.

Exact Pro Tools version? Normal or HD? What meter type is selected?

You in pre or post fader metering mode? Go into post fader and slide the fader up all the way, does the meter hit 0dBFS?

No? Post screen shots of the mix window showing as much detail as possible.

What do you have connected into exactly what connector using what cable type at each stage of the. And what is everything set to... like PADs and gain on the preamp. (have you used this preamp much, it's complex enough to easily make mistakes with)... and you need an XLR female to 1/4" TRS male cable to connect that to your interface (you can't use the XLR in on the 2i2... are you trying to do that?).
Hi thanks for your quick reply, ill go on the computer soon and grab some screen shots.

But to answer your questions:

Yes the track meter, but the master fader gives the same read.

I have no plugins currently on the track

Yes, I can hear it clipping, how do I rule out analog distortion?

Exact protools version is Protools 10 Norman, Ill log on to my other comp soon for screen shots and exact update. Which meter type exactly, I don't have huge amount of experience with protools, I only really no how to record basic covers and mix.

Ill check if that mass a difference

I have used this preamp quite a lot but ill sent a picture of the settings soon, but yes it is connected via 1/4 TRS female

Hope this helps and thanks again!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:52 AM

I was in Pre Fader Metering. I had a feeling it would be something stupid.

What would you use pre Fader Metering for exactly?

Thanks for your help
Old 03-29-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your help
When recording, knowing the level at the A/D converter is important so you know how hard you're driving the input converters. Sadly, even in pre-fade you're still metering post plug-ins, but it's the closest metering point you can get to the converter. Personally, in the 2 decades that I've used Pro Tools, I've never had it out of pre-fade.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-29-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I was in Pre Fader Metering. I had a feeling it would be something stupid.

Thanks for your help
You would normally track with pre-fader metering to make it easy to see what the input levels are, but you need to disable any plugins to see that. As mentioned here already.

So my simple guess had been you have a plugin pulling down a level. If there are no plugins in that track then you likely have something screwed up with the hardware or maybe much less likely a hardware fault. But before troubleshooting for that does this happen in a new blank session? After you trash prefs? If that does not help then you need to look at testing with just your 2i2 and mics going straight into that.... with XLR to XLR cables and check phantom power is on for your condenser mic and even measure the voltage on the 2i2 XLR with a voltmeter. With that condenser and the pad off snd gain turned up and speaking increasingly loudly very close/directly into the mic what does the input meter get to... In pre-fader metering with no plugins inserted on that track.

But I am not clear on what problem you are exactly trying to solve, or what you hope to get, you should not be trying to track near 0dBFS or even -5dBFS.