Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2011, 09:36 AM

Default a favor, please?

this may be asking a bit much, but since avid are d-bags in the sense that they want me to pay a 100 some dollars just to talk to a human being....

and i called them but they are to stuburn to listen and actually think for a freaking second

i figured i could ask on here...

here the situation:

i purchased an 11r on craigslist with the expansion pack firmware pre-installed

now i have it at my house and i need the expansion plugin update for my mac, but avid doesn't have a link to download the plugin update anywhere, and when i called them (had to backdoor my way in, JUST to freaking talk to a human) they didn't understand how things work

the money you pay for the expansion pack is to update your firmware with new amp models.

the software plugin portion will not work without your hardware being updated.

i don't need my hardware updated, i already have that done. all i need is the plugin update so i can make rig changes in my pt session.

why wouldn't this be available for download, and why can't they send me a download link? they aren't loosing anything by doing this. my hardware been updated, why not give me the software that won't work without the hardware update to me? come one? this is bs!

could anyone that has the expansion pack plugin update for a mac, please find it in the kindness of your heart to help me out? if avid would operate like any other successful business and at least have a customer support team that would help let a lone talk to you without paying money, i don't think i would be here asking.

please and thanks :)
Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 AM

That's not how Avid downloads work for many things. You need to get your Avid online account and downloads sorted out, as you'll need it for other things eventually.

Create an Avid account. Do a transfer of software agreement with the seller. I would hope that gets you access to the update in your Avid account. I would have also expected the seller to provide you the updater executable.

Darryl
Old 05-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Default Re: a favor, please?

Sorry, forgot to mention this in the original post.

I have an Avid account with several products on it.

I communicated with the seller via email using craigslsit. we met up at a guitar center and all i got was a first name (we did an equip. exchange) The problem is that this guys isn't responding to anything i've sent him in the last week

this is the ONLY reason i'm asking. It would be nice if he would have included all that info with the purchase, I didn't even think about asking him for the licenses transfer (didn't think i'd need it, till i realized the software needed an actual update, and that avid didn't supply the .exe to do so)
Old 05-20-2011, 10:33 AM

Well I'm imagining that you didn't pay full price for your 11r- not to be unsympathetic- but you get what you pay for... the chunk of hardware is only part of the power of the 11r...

If you want to be treated like a good customer you have to behave like one, you need to buy new from an authorized AVID dealership- or you need to perform the proper transfer of ownership. If you saved a bunch of money by buying your 11r through Craig's list- well there is your trade off- you saved a bunch of money... you should be happy about that.

you can't have it both ways...
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:41 AM

actually yes you can....

1> i purchased a product they made so i would expect support when needed (let a lone talk to someone) any other company (line 6, mesa, marshall) if you buy stuff second hand they will still help you no matte what, because thats what a good company and great customer support is about, now if i needed a repair i would obviously expect to pay for that, but not just to talk to a person

most importantly here, the software update (literally just 2 .dpm files i believe???) which is useless without the firmware update is what i need, i don't need a serial, i don't need the firmware update that requires a serial. i already have the new amps on my 11r, so they aren't loosing any money here. im just asking them to be kind and post a download link that would give me something i already own. even though i didn't buy it from them. some of us have more things to spend our money on than brand new top dollar gear from a top priced reseller....

sorry, i'm not made of money
Old 05-20-2011, 10:47 AM

I see no reason not to buy used. I bought my 11r used and then bought ERXP from Avid, I'd hope if I had a problem that Avid would support me.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:09 AM

exactly!

One great example:

I own a schecter guitar, I was rough housing it while playing a show (punched the strings/guitar on a heavy part) and completely broke the emg pickup's wing.

so the next day i called up schecter and told them what i did, i asked how much i would have to pay to get them to send me a replacement pickup.

what they did was send me not 1, but 2 replacement pickups with 3 day shipping for free, their reason: it has our name on it, you are our customer, we like our customers happy, and our products working.

this right here is a class act, best customer service i've ever received, hands down. i'm now a completely satisfied customer, they went above and beyond to take care of me and their name/product. and i tell everyone why i love schecter, (unlike avid which i tell everyone how crappy their service is)

back on topic, avid's support sucks, all they want is money, and they cant even be kind enough to help their customers out, and they obviously don't care about their name/products.

its a simple download that is useless unless i'm telling the truth that i have the 11r firmware already updated, whats to loose avid (other than whats left of my patience and respect with you)

i'm not trying to debate buying it from avid or not, i was just asking for someone to be kind enough to share their installer file, i don't need a serial, that part of the update is already done, i just need to update my plugin so i can reflect my hardware setup into my software plugin

thanks guys :)

btw. after a few days i'll delete this post
Old 05-20-2011, 11:11 AM

i see where he's coming from. i personally don't have the expansion pack yet, i'm gonna get it withing the next 3-4 months though, i'll send you my installer file if no-one else would be nice enough to help him out till then.

anyone else wanna help this guy?
Old 05-20-2011, 12:51 PM

I thought about it, but I think the Avid dudes on here will help him out. I don't think they're the money grubbing scum that OP is making them out to be. Avid is a pretty big company that deals with a lot of different products and users, and many support issues. It's probably pretty easy to slip through the cracks. The Avid guys on this forum (Chris and Chimp) are both pretty helpful and chime in on a regular basis here.

I think if OP exercises a little patience - and maybe works a little bit on his diplomacy/netiquette - he'll get the help he needs. I understand his frustration but calling them names off the bat is antagonistic and probably doesn't do him any good.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguy View Post
its a simple download that is useless unless i'm telling the truth that i have the 11r firmware already updated,
Click on my name to email me. Put your email addy in message.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O