Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2014, 04:21 AM

Default how to monitor and mix the low end

Hi I mixed a jazz pop album recently and one of the things I struggled with a lot, is the low end....

I kept going back to change and make tweaks because I would print the mix and play it in the car system and other systems and find that its either I put too much low or less.

im using the Yamaha HS50Ms to mix and I have a pair of Presonus headphones...not the best monitoring I know, but is there a way I can get better results with these? how are you guys monitoring your lows.....
Old 07-28-2014, 05:23 AM

Default how to monitor and mix the low end

A frequency analyzer to visualize what's going on down there. MeldaProduction has a great free one available in their starter bundle. For hearing what's going on there, try inserting a one-band eq at the end of your mix. Set it to 600hz and make the band a LPF. Both of these methods are useful and practical ways to handle monitoring the low end when there is not a subwoofer present. Hope this helps!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:30 AM

Default Re: how to monitor and mix the low end

This is a good question the OP asked! I have the waves Paz analyser but I'm
Not to sure how to interpret the information give to me it just looks like alot of fast lines jumping up and down what should you be looking for especially in the low end area when the line is quite long and straight (if that makes sense) and just bounces around. ???

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 07-28-2014, 08:11 AM

Hard to mix something that u cannot hear. I've never been an eye engineer. A properly calibrated sub or 2nd pair of monitors w a fuller range would help. Another non pay option would be to get a reference mix that u like and a/b while mixing. Check in headphones n car as well.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehttamllim View Post
A frequency analyzer to visualize what's going on down there. MeldaProduction has a great free one available in their starter bundle. For hearing what's going on there, try inserting a one-band eq at the end of your mix. Set it to 600hz and make the band a LPF. Both of these methods are useful and practical ways to handle monitoring the low end when there is not a subwoofer present. Hope this helps!
Thanks for this, I will try it out....I have the same problem as Raoul.....I've really gotten confused many times by the frequency analyzing tools more because I would put up a commercial track and do an a/b, then it we'd pretty much look the same but obviously not that much, but when I listen to the two tracks' slow end they'll be a huge difference in roundness and even loudness.

Am I reading the meters wrong? Is there a website or any reference that I can check out on how to use frequency analyzers?

2ndly, which pair of headsets would you recommend for mixing? I know headphones are not always advised to use for mixing but I'm thinking since I dnt have sub, I can use them in the mean while for low end
Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM

Setting up your speakers and mix environment properly will work better than any analyzer. If you can't hear what you are dealing with you are operating blind. Or deaf rather. You don't need a sub, in some cases it will only make things worse. If you are in a small space with low ceilings you may need to add absorption and/or diffusion to even out the frequency spectrum of your space.

Monitors are more like mirrors than anything else. If your monitors are lying to you your compensation may cause the opposite effect than you are going for, especially in low frequencies. If you cannot hear low end properly you will make decisions based upon inaccuracy where the frequency spectrum is concerned. There are free room analyzers you can use to check your space. Many times relocating your speakers and adding some bass traps will give you a more accurate frequency response. Using a spectrum analyzer on your mixes won't mean much if your space isn't giving you an accurate representation of what you are working with. However if you use one on individual instruments you may be able to tame issues within a mix, but it's still not as good as being able to hear the frequencies you are dealing with.

BadCat make a really nice free analyzer included with their free plugin package.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM

I had this same trouble ten years ago. Trust me by saying it first takes the money to buy the right gear and then it takes the time to learn to use it.

Long story short: I now have Genelec 7060B sub and Genelec 8040B satellites -- mixes translate very well.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:30 PM

Don't forget the effect of monitoring volume reflected in the Fletcher-Munson curves. Monitor on the quiet side for accurately judging balance, monitor loudly for accurately judging bass.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 07-28-2014, 01:38 PM

Or always monitor using 83..85dB calibrated monitoring no matter what you do :) your ears will like it and you can charge +10hour days
Old 07-28-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I had this same trouble ten years ago. Trust me by saying it first takes the money to buy the right gear and then it takes the time to learn to use it.

Long story short: I now have Genelec 7060B sub and Genelec 8040B satellites -- mixes translate very well.
Lol how I wish I could be confident already about low end....genelecs would be nice but unfortunately for the money I make with mixing currently it wouldn't be wise to buy them I think....but I know they are great.

Anyone know the yamaha's hs80m monitors? Apparently they have room control knobs behind them and sub, low frequency that they claim to help with low frequency monitoring....if anyone get a chance, please check them out and let us know what u think. I'm just trying to check if there's a way out there to create competitive mixes with great frequency spectrum with just good monitoring skills and good pair of monitors for someone who's still starting