Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Firewire410 Problems with sound output

Quote:
Having success since uninstalling/reinstalling drivers. Seems to be a clocking issue. FW410 loses clock occasionally when tracking via coax SPDIF input. Annoying but liveable.

Cool, good that it worked.

I had the same issue with the FW410, something about clocking to external S/PDIF seems to be "not right" with the unit, regardless of what drivers are used. The Projectmix i/o, using S/PDIF in and synced to wordclock from a Big Ben, seems to be free of that problem.

I notice that when looking in the Pro Tools playback engine setup, using the M-Audio 1.7.4 drivers the highest buffer setting I see is 1024. With the 1.8.2 drivers, there was a 2048 setting available. Maybe that's a clue to some kind of error with the 1.8.2 drivers.

Mac Pro 8x2.8gHz, 4gb RAM, M-Audio Projectmix I/O, Pro Tools MP 8.0
Old 08-25-2007, 03:25 PM

Going back to 1.7.4 has (so far) solved the problem here.

Greeting

GS
Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 AM

FWIW I've been having the same problem with my Firewire 1814 and my MacBook Pro (2.4Ghz - July 2007 model). Output just randomly stops. On the audio panel I can still see level meter activity on the software return bus but nothing on the output. The only fix is to reset the 1814 from the audio panel or turn the 1814 off/on. I've been working with M-Audio support for two days and tried everything from older M-Audio drivers to disconnecting all other firewire devices on my MacBook Pro (which is laughable as I do all my recording to an external firewire drive). Nothing fixes it. Finally I'm told this is a KNOWN PROBLEM that will be fixed by the next driver update. When is that? Nobody knows! Well if it's a known problem and considering the 1.8.2 driver was released in April of 2007, maybe somebody should get on with releasing a FIX!

Until then, I guess I just have to reset the 1814 between takes in the hopes of buying myself as much time as possible between failures. Very disappointing to have something so fragile.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:29 AM

Well, did we pay to be beta-testers here? I just wrote this complaint to M-Audio (not that it will solve anything)
Quote:
Ever since I bought the FW410 to use on my mobile set (MacMini with Protools LE), it has had buggy drivers: device not recognized, having to reset it every time before using it, not recognizing Multichannel input, strange resets in Mac OSX after running the unit under XP (Bootcamp) and so on.
I'm an audio professional and in the business since 1983, so I'm patient, used to workarounds and normally don't have time to write complaints like this. It's the first time I really would like to trade in this device which has cost me more time to get it working properly than any other box I've used.
Of course both you and I know I'm not alone with these complaints: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...&mode=feedback
And there's more complaints about drivers not being updated (Sonica Theater etc.)

I'm disappointed that my trust in M-Audio, that was established by the partnership with Digidesign has sunken so low.
What can I do next: I've spend my money on Protools M-Powered with a nice device with buggy drivers.... Upgrade to another M-Audio box with better drivers? For how long would I be able to enjoy it?

Bottom line question: is there any work in progress fixing these issues in the near future?

Old 09-13-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Firewire410 Problems with sound output *DELETED*

Post deleted by exiter
Old 09-13-2007, 08:35 PM

I bought a macbook pro this summer and I had this problem for a short while. I am running OSX 10.4.10 and M-Audio 1.8.2, and everything is now working just fine. The 3 things that I found that may have helped were disabling Dashboard, Spotlight, and Safe Sleep.

Once these were disabled, everything has been working fine, with wireless and bluetooth turned on.

Dashboard:
http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/maco...oard/index.php

Spotight:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50504012104186

Safe Sleep:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...70302210328928

Good Luck,
J
Old 09-14-2007, 07:05 AM

Post deleted by exiter
Old 09-15-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
FWIW I got this reply from m-audio today:
We are recommending the 1.7.4 driver at present however there should be an updated driver on our website shortly

Regards

Richard
UK Tech Support
M Audio UK
www.m-audio.com

I wouldn't bother. I tried the 1.7.4 driver at the recommendation of M-Audio and all it accomplished was to fail more frequently and you and I seem to have the same setup. I'll give it a little more time and see if they actually post something that works and then I'm going to jump off the bridge and just upgrade to 10.4.10 and see if that is any better. I'm a little pissed that I have to stay on 10.4.9 just for Pro Tools. More and more apps are being released that have 10.4.10 as a minimum requirement and I just can't use them ... all because of Pro Tools.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't bother. I tried the 1.7.4 driver at the recommendation of M-Audio and all it accomplished was to fail more frequently and you and I seem to have the same setup. I'll give it a little more time and see if they actually post something that works and then I'm going to jump off the bridge and just upgrade to 10.4.10 and see if that is any better. I'm a little pissed that I have to stay on 10.4.9 just for Pro Tools. More and more apps are being released that have 10.4.10 as a minimum requirement and I just can't use them ... all because of Pro Tools.
I think that it is safe at this point to go to 10.4.10, many people including myself have done so and had no problems.....other than the prebinding, which took all of 1 minute to take care of. Download the combo update and move on.

Have you tried disabling the items I mentioned above?

J
Old 09-16-2007, 01:54 AM

Post deleted by exiter