Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 12:27 PM

Default Re: ProjectMix line inputs -10?

Line Input max input level is +10 dBu and is correctly stated on the ProjectMix web page at http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...xIO-focus.html This gives 6 dB headroom above the +4 dBu nominal level. +10 dBu = +7.8 dBV. So for consumer unbalanced inputs this gives almost 18 dB headroom above -10 dBV.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:52 PM

They are not unbalanced, they are -10dbV. Put a +4dbu nominal 0db signal into it, turn the preamp gain all the way counterclockwise and watch the inputs redline. Not only that, but you will see overshoot in the software.

You cannot input a +4dbu signal running nominal 0db levels into the Projectmix line inputs. Whether you understand, or can recreate is a nonissue, M-Audio confirmed this, and confirmed they are aware of this DESIGN FLAW!!!!!
Old 02-15-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
They are not unbalanced, they are -10dbV. Put a +4dbu nominal 0db signal into it, turn the preamp gain all the way counterclockwise and watch the inputs redline. Not only that, but you will see overshoot in the software.

You cannot input a +4dbu signal running nominal 0db levels into the Projectmix line inputs. Whether you understand, or can recreate is a nonissue, M-Audio confirmed this, and confirmed they are aware of this DESIGN FLAW!!!!!

I feed my Project Mix line inputs from my Mackie Onyx 1640 via a DB25-TRS cable from the Mackie's direct outs without a problem whatsoever.I set the gain on the Project Mix fully counter clockwise and control my signal strength from the Mackie.I usually have the Mackie's gain at about 9-12:00 and this set-up works awesome for me.No clipping unless I crank the gain on the Onyx way to much.Sound quality is superb.Maybe my PM does'nt have that hardware issue.I bought it 3 weeks ago.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:12 AM

Quote:

I understand your issue and other people understand your issue. Its actually not that complicated. You are not the ONLY one with the understanding of dbv. I also talked with M-Audio several times ,including Calvin Banks, (manager) and they have NOT been able to recreate this issue on every unit. So your issue is a NONISSUE for me and others!!! I respect what you say in other forums because you know your stuff, but you don't have to get "smarty" about someone not agreeing with you.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:16 AM

Shredder,
Wow!! your studio clips have a nice sound!! What mics are you using on vocals?
Old 02-16-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I feed my Project Mix line inputs from my Mackie Onyx 1640 via a DB25-TRS cable from the Mackie's direct outs without a problem whatsoever.I set the gain on the Project Mix fully counter clockwise and control my signal strength from the Mackie.I usually have the Mackie's gain at about 9-12:00 and this set-up works awesome for me.No clipping unless I crank the gain on the Onyx way to much.Sound quality is superb.Maybe my PM does'nt have that hardware issue.I bought it 3 weeks ago.
You should be setting your preamp levels using the console pfl, not the meters in your DAW. PFL those levels and I guarantee you will see they are well below optimal, meaning your s/n ratio is lower than it needs be, and the preamp is not running in it's optimal range.

AFA M-Audio not being able to recreate the issue, that's total bs. Call tech support, they are completely aware of both the issue and R&D's work in permanently changing it. No attitude, just facts, straight from the horses mouth.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:08 PM

I did not say they could not recreate issue at all just not on every unit. I actually confirmed again today with tech support(greg williams) and nothing has changed. Greg actually owns a projectmix and has not been able to recreate issue on his unit. If there was a confirmed hardware issue on every unit, I would be the first to take my projectmix back and raise hell.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
If there was a confirmed hardware issue on every unit, I would be the first to take my projectmix back and raise hell.
Well there is, so best start packing it up. Sinc eevery unit so far has been manufactured to the same design, which R&D is working on modifying at a hardware level, but has yet to release the updated version, every PM sold so far is identical.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Shredder,
Wow!! your studio clips have a nice sound!! What mics are you using on vocals?

Rode K2 exclusivly...............I love that mic! Thanx for checking out the site.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
If you plan on using the line inputs regularly, for external mic pres, direct outs from consoles, etc., then I would recommend waiting until this is corrected, otherwise you will encounter connection sensitivity mimatches that will require pads between the +4 outputs and the MP -10 inputs, deteriorating the audio quality.

..........or pick up a few of these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GXJ235/