Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2024, 11:37 AM

Default Re: No Volume Control in Software (Windows 11)

Once again, I run Mbox Studio on Windows 11 and I can control Windows audio volume with the big knob on the Mbox, or within Mbox Control software(you can call up the software with a single push of the button on the Mbox front panel). It might be worth spending some time watching tutorials(youtube or Avid.com) or reading thru the manual(something most of us find painful)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-13-2024, 11:04 PM

That's a work around, one I think we're all familiar with. I've seen many videos, some from Avid, some from youtubers, and I haven't seen it mentioned. I've read the manual included the box, lol, and read most of the pdf available online. I haven't found anything in either manual on this. I think it's driver related (intended or not), and not something I'd expect to find in the manual, but if you can help me locate that info, that'd be great.

Other interfaces have this functionality so it's not out of the realm of possibility that this is a bug, or functionality that could be added at a later time.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:10 AM

You don’t have to repeat what you’ve suggested. What you’re suggesting is just standard operation of the unit which adjusts monitor audio and doesn’t bring back function of the windows volume slider which is pretty essential for background apps, wireless keyboards, etc. This is standard functionality for any mainstream OS and isn’t disabled when using other audio interfaces so it’s understandable to ask if this is intended, or if it’s a bug. I can live with it as is, but I’d rather turn 1 dial on my keyboard that is already in my hands, rather than reaching for the MBox + Mouse to open an app, mouse over to the app, and adjust a slider in the UI.

If it’s not a bug, I hope avid will look into adding it in the future. It’s definitely good advice to read the manual, but that’s not really helpful here. The included manual is very brief and doesn’t cover it. I’ve spent time going over the more detailed online pdf, but I couldn’t find anything related to OS volume control. IMO, it’s a driver related issue and unlikely to be covered in the manual, but feel free to point me in the right direction if you’ve come across it.

Last edited by Irb Digital; 03-15-2024 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Original message never posted.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:55 PM

Okay, I did some digging and see what you mean, however, each playback means(at least of my options of Quicktime, Windows Media Player and youtube videos) has its own working volume control. I agree that the Windows master slider should work, but I'm not sure if this gets blamed on the Mbox, or on Windows.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-19-2024, 12:07 AM

Master Volume is disabled in Mac OS when using Mbox as well, which surprised me and makes me think this is intended operation. In app volume controls still work, so all is not lost, but I typically set in app volume and leave it there, and leave on the fly adjustments for OS master volume. I'm also wondering if I was hallucinating when I had windows master volume actually working with mbox.