Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2000, 12:26 AM

Default Ver. 5.1 Multi-outs/format

So when this thing (version 5.1) finally comes out will I be able to output individually processed tracks to my DA 88 (for splits) AND send the 2-mix with a Stereo compressor to my DigiBeta... AT THE SAME TIME???

SPC
[email protected]
Old 10-29-2000, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Ver. 5.1 Multi-outs/format

Well, yes - but you could do that now - use the sends!

5.1 allows you to assign the output of a track to multiple destinations (outputs and busses)

DC
Old 10-30-2000, 10:50 AM

Of course! (smile) Thanks Danny. My thing is to find a SIMPLE and smooth way to eliminate my Finalizer from my mix and go total In-box for full and total in-da-box and recall. Now that I mention that I can probally saved the Finalizer setting with midi commands ...
Anyway I usually monitor my mix through the DA 88 on 8 faders on the console. Thats so we know what our split master will sound like ... because we're listening to it! Then I apply the Finalizer (insert in the consoles 2mix inserts) and finally send that sucker to the Digibeta. I monitor whats sticking to the Digibeta by returning it to the console 2 track external ins. For me, the DA 88 splits need to be unsqashed so the the next guy can have uncompressed splits to work with if need be (of course!). I'd love to apply a sweet 2mix (plug in) comp that sent only to the DigiB (but will I be able to listen to THAT before I go to Beta???).
Set up: O2R A
2-888 16 bit connected to the 88's (9-24)
1-888 24 (inputs from 1-8 console busses) 1-8
O2R B:
returns of: DAT, CD player, 3/4 inch, 1/4 inch, etc ...

There you have it ... my longest winded reply!

Me
[email protected]
Old 10-30-2000, 04:37 PM

why not use a stereo aux track in PT as the insert on the console instead of the finalizer?

Danny's right that you can use the aux sends for the DA8 stripes and have everything assigned out a pair of outputs that would go to the digibeta and could have a plug across a master fader, but it's kind of a pain to set up -- definitely need to have a template with all of that routing in it -- plus it's DSP intensive.

from what I've seen of 5.1 it will make this easier to deal with.
Old 10-30-2000, 06:24 PM

Prior to using PT, I've always been able to Mix and output Mulitiple format at the same time with other Digital Audio system, a very powerful "feature" that I've worked with for many years and find hard to work without now a days.

The way I get around this with PT now, is to create my Mix Groups / "Stem mixes" by using the internal Bussing and Stereo Aux Master on the PT; and use a few empty Audio Tracks to output to all different "physical" output (inc. DAT, DA98, DigitalBeta and ProControl). All worked fine, but still hoping for some suggestion on the following:

1- any way to protect / disable / Hide the AUX Master channels? Will be good if I can prevent the input / output and other settings being changed on the AUX Master, inclulding Fader & Pan

2- There are about 2-3 "loops" on the internal Bussing, will I face digital delay problem?

3- Anyway to Defualt the Output of a new AudioTrack to an internal Bus?

4- I have Machine Control, but it only allow me to lock up one machine at a time. Anyway to increase the number of machine I can lock up? All masters (DAT, DA98, DigitalBeta) going to my client all require Timecode accuracy, so I still need to master one by one with Machine Control. But the above save me lot of time on the backup tapes, where I beep tone is fine.

I have a template for the above setup if anyone interested or have any suggestion.

My biggest hope in PT5.1 is the better support of Mixing for Muiti Format & Output simultanesly!!!

Thanks

Simon
Old 10-31-2000, 08:12 AM

This response is great ... I don't feel like a lonely idiot. KingTor, Im totally with you but like our friend Simon and also in your closing is the issue of setting up a cool template for this stuff. Templates ARE doable but can start to get "messy" in this particular example and I'd like to keep it as straight ahead/simple as possible. Too many complicated setups (so to speak) leaves room for error in the middle of an intense session. My worry was so many other tracks to baby sit in addition to my original audio tracks (ie: auxes, sub masters, etc..). Plus in most cases my sessin starts with an OMF inport. Now once that opens up in PT's I'd love to start working instead of doing a track transfer/import to my special "super duper" template. Anyway I havn't heard any wrongs here, I just would like it a little smoother and clean cut (imagine that).

"spoiled" spc
former Fairlight guy
Old 10-31-2000, 08:17 AM

Oh Simon, as far as locking your 98 and the Digi the word is MachineControl for your Digi and MMC to slave your 98. When you layback you'll just have to manually arm the 98.
That's how I'll try it also ... I dont want to get into MicroLynx world.

spc
Old 10-31-2000, 08:38 AM

My problem is solved. Danny and King's point will work fine for me. I guess I can monitor though the DA 88 (to make sure it is right) and I can monitor the Beta (with my plug-in compressor) just before I relay via the External 2 Track on my console.
Anyway to lock those send levels so they dont get bump some how?

spc
Old 10-31-2000, 08:06 PM

SPC,

True, template can get "messy" if not done carefully and will confuse engineers whom are new to PT. I only created the template to "pre-configure" the stuff that are usally needed by every engineer working in the room.

We are now doing a 40 episodes of cartoon series, Dialog editing, SFX spotting, Music Editing, than final mixing. One of our rooms is now specially dedicated for this project which will last for about 6 months. Since all 40 episodes will be started and completed in the same room, all will have the same configuration (ie: ins, outs, inserts....) and mixing structures (ie: Dial stem, SFX Stem, Music stem.....). So a template really work great here, expect the little problems I listed before (anyone has any answers or suggestions?)

And for locking the DA98, I have a USD, Machine Control software, and a house sync (video ref) going to both. The will enable you to control your machines with the transport window or the transport keys on the ProControl, and arming tracks with the Track Arm window. My desire is to lock up two or more machine at the same time. (Digidesign?)

Simon (spoiled too)
former SSL Digital;-}