Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-26-2003, 02:11 AM

Default MBox or 001 for low budget film-maker?

Hi
I'm a film-maker putting together my own soundtracks.
I currently have a good dual monitor PC with win 98 and 2000, a Midiman Audiophile card, and a Korg X5D.
I will bring in sound files on CD, record v.o. direct to hard disk, and record music using a MIDI keyboard.
I need a setup that will allow me to take my PT session to a professional post facility for the final mix.
So...
1) On an MBox I see there is no MIDI . Can I continue using the MIDI on my old card with ProTools (I suspect not) or with other software?
2) There is MIDI on the 001, but can I use the connections with Cubase and Logic?
3) Is there any difference between the way video is handled on the MBox and the 001? I notice they use different versions of 5.3.
4) Can I record using the MBox or 001 into other software? Anyone encountered problems?
5) Anyone recommend a cheap but good mic suitable for voice overs?
6) Is there phantom power on the 001?
The 001, though more expensive, appears to be the better choice, but the MBox is USB, and I think I might one day end up purchasing a laptop, so the MBox portability would be a plus.
I've scoured the net, but I can't find answers to these questions. Hope someone can help.
Regards
Karel
Old 04-26-2003, 02:31 AM

Default Re: MBox or 001 for low budget film-maker?

Quote:
Originally posted by Karel Bata:
Hi
I'm a film-maker putting together my own soundtracks.
I currently have a good dual monitor PC with win 98 and 2000, a Midiman Audiophile card, and a Korg X5D.
I will bring in sound files on CD, record v.o. direct to hard disk, and record music using a MIDI keyboard.
I need a setup that will allow me to take my PT session to a professional post facility for the final mix.
So...
1) On an MBox I see there is no MIDI . Can I continue using the MIDI on my old card with ProTools (I suspect not) or with other software?
2) There is MIDI on the 001, but can I use the connections with Cubase and Logic?
3) Is there any difference between the way video is handled on the MBox and the 001? I notice they use different versions of 5.3.
4) Can I record using the MBox or 001 into other software? Anyone encountered problems?
5) Anyone recommend a cheap but good mic suitable for voice overs?
6) Is there phantom power on the 001?
The 001, though more expensive, appears to be the better choice, but the MBox is USB, and I think I might one day end up purchasing a laptop, so the MBox portability would be a plus.
I've scoured the net, but I can't find answers to these questions. Hope someone can help.
Regards
Karel
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1) you can use MIDI from non-Digidesign stuff.
2) mm, never used my 001 for any pro audio work in anything other than pro tools, but i think with the ASIO driver, you can't use MIDI?
3) i think there is no difference...
4) you can record into other software, using either the wavedriver or the ASIO one.
5) voice overs... hmm... i've only ever used mics for recording singing and rap, so i think i'll leave that to someone with more experience in that area...
6) yes, there is phantom power on inputs 1 & 2.

yeah, the slight annoyance with the 001 is the PCI card deal, though you should be warned, latency is a slight annoyance with the Mbox.
Old 04-26-2003, 04:48 AM

2.) when the final release on the ASIO driver is ready, you can of course use any other common audio programm which supports ASIO, including MIDI.
5.) for voice-overs and in general talking a condenser mic is better than dynamic ones. It depends on, how much you will spend. But you may find cheap and good ones.

I´m using the 001, because I need more than two (Mic-)Ins. Plus for the M-Box because of the Laptop combination, the Focusrite Pres and the channel inserts for dynamic sound processors. Those Inserts would be a big plus for recording over-voices with a compressor/limiter...
Minus for M-Box because of MIDI.
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 04-26-2003, 11:55 AM

Mbox users:

Is the latency that bad? Do you have trouble overdubbing?
Old 04-26-2003, 03:43 PM

For your vocal mic or mics, audition the Rode NT1000 and Rode NTK. There are several Digi 001 users who run their NTK's right into the 001 pre and like it. YMMV

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-26-2003, 03:48 PM

One thing I forgot to mention, there is no SMPTE time code for PT LE in any version at the moment. However, Digi has announced that SMPTE will be a feature in the 6.1 upgrade. When the red headed step children get 6.1 is vague.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-26-2003, 04:49 PM

Hello. SMPTE will not be a part of 6.1. That functionality will be have to be purchased separately in the DV Toolkit for LE. Both items are scheduled for a late June release. 6.1 will be available for all TDM and LE systems. All of them. Everybody. Check the NAB Announcements link in the News section of the website.