Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2001, 11:17 PM

Default Recording drum kits

How are you guys all recording full drum kits? Just running all of your mics into a mixer, then stereo input into the digi? Or are you guys running adapters from each mic to get your mics in the seperate digi inputs. I want to get each drum mic on a separate track, but im not looking forward to spending $100 on adapters to go from XLR to 1/4". Let's say I want a mic on my Kick(1), snare and high hat (1), floor tom and ride (1), and overhead left (1), and overhead right (1).....5 mics total, 6 if i mic a rack tom....and only 2 XLR inputs on the digi....how are the preamps with kick drums? sound pretty good? Let me know what you guys are doin....
Mark
something said
www.something-said.com
Old 05-20-2001, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Recording drum kits

XLR to 1\4" adapters suck and add extra noise, plus the 1\4" inputs on the digi aren't mic pre-amps. The best solution to this problem is to get some mic pre-amps to go into the digi, or a mixer that has pre-amps.

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 05-20-2001, 09:22 AM

check out the presonus digimax. i don't have one, but i've seen some people rave about it on the DUC.........

http://www.presonus.com/PreSonus__Pr...s_digimax.html
Old 05-20-2001, 09:32 AM

Yeah, your only option I know of is to buy preamps such as digimax or a small mixer with direct outs. An unfortunate expensive option but worth it for sound quality. I use triggers from an Alesis DM pro for the kick, and toms so the monster cable XLR to 1/4 inch adapter cables work fine since the drum module doesn't need mic pre's. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2001, 04:52 PM

Check out the ARX 8pre. It's got nothing on the Presonus, but then it's nowhere near the price Probably around $400ish US. Quality should be quite good though, ARX don't put out rubbish.
http://www.arx.com.au/8pre-bro.htm
Old 05-21-2001, 08:33 AM

I have the Digimax and recorded my first drum kit with it. It performed great. It has a good sound, and enough features to get the job done, and make it sound sweet too.

Heath
www.endsanity.com
Old 05-21-2001, 09:53 AM

I record drums in a similar mannor to yourself, and to do it that way I had to get a mixer (atleast 6 channels each with individual direct outs). I picked up a used one for only $150 that has 12 channels, all with direct outs. Alot of the newer mixers don't have direct outs, the cheapest one is probably the alesis studio 24, and it's direct outs are RCA, not quarter inch. You can buy a cord for that but it still might be out of your price range. Go look a those hole-in-the-wall music stores and look for an old p.o.s. mixer, but as long as it has direct outs and some kind of volume it should be fine. you should be albe to pick one up for under $200. If you can't find one, reasearch some actual names and hit up e-bay. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2001, 03:09 PM

Thanks for your help!!! I'm probably gonna do the Mackie mixer thing since I already have one....What's that about the A/d converters? I don't even know what those are
Old 05-22-2001, 09:45 PM

AD CONVERTERS ARE ANALOQUE TO DIGITAL CONVERTERS BASICALLY WHAT YOU DOING WITH THE DIGI SYSTEM----NOW HERE IS WHAT I DO ABOUT THE DRUMS---AND I AM A DRUMMER SO I KNOW WHAT I WANT---ANY WAY I HAVE A MIXER WITH POST AND PRE SENDS AND RETURNS ON EACH CHANNEL---SO I HAVE KICK ON CHANL-1 / SNARE CHNL2/ OVERHEADS CHNL3 AND 4/ TOMS CHANL 5 AND 6/ AND TRIGGERS TO A DM4 ON STERO 7/8.
I ALL OF THOSE USE THE PRE AMP IN MY MIXER FROM THE POST SEND THEN TO THE DIGI BOX---I HOPE THIS DOESNT CONFUSE YOU---SOME MIXERS HAVE INSERTS LIKETHE MACKIE IN STEAD OF THE SEPERATE PRE AND POST SEND AND RETURN----SO I BELIEVE YOU CAN GET THOSE SPECIAL INSERT PLUGS WHICH I BELIEVE THE TIP IS SEND AND THE RING IS RETURN---AND JUST USE THE SEND OFF OF IT TO THE DIGI---THAT SHOULD INABLE YOU TO HAVE SEPERATE TRACKS WITH YOUR DRUMS ---IF I HAVE STATED THIS INCORRECTLY PLEASE SOMEBODY LET ME KNOW----BUT IT WORKS GREAT WITH MY MIXER.
Old 05-23-2001, 06:43 AM

I actually run all the drum mics into my Mackie CFX12 mixer and into a single stereo pair inputs on Digi001, but with that mixer I could send 4 signals on the 4 busses, but I don't get effects, (The main reason I don't do it that way)

Therefore, 1/2, (digi001 preamps,) 3/4 5/6 pre amped by mixer would work.