Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2015, 11:12 AM

Default POLL on PT 11 and PT 12 that will OR will not upgrade

From Protools Expert: Might be of interest.
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...eid=8b88e75c4f

When Avid announced Pro Tools 11 we polled our readership to see what their upgrade intentions were. When Pro Tools 12 was announced we ran a similar poll to see what the upgrade intentions of readers were again. Here are the results compared.

Pro Tools 11 Upgrade Poll Results
Number of responses - 2400
Will update - 59%
Will not update - 25%
Moving to another DAW - 16%
Pro Tools 12 Upgrade Poll Results
Number of responses - 2007
Will update - 6%
Will not update - 72%
Moving to another DAW - 13%
Waiting for free upgrade - 9%
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 05-03-2015, 11:34 AM

Default Re: POLL on PT 11 and PT 12 that will OR will not upgrade

Seems about right. In regards to your poll what do you think about any skew due to later adoption? Also, I'm wondering if Avid should have conducted a poll of it's own first. If these numbers are anywhere near a normal sampling it doesn't look promising. What about a poll regarding subscriptions and rentals?
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
Seems about right. In regards to your poll what do you think about any skew due to later adoption? Also, I'm wondering if Avid should have conducted a poll of it's own first. If these numbers are anywhere near a normal sampling it doesn't look promising. What about a poll regarding subscriptions and rentals?
Sure on all points. I just saw this today on their email to me and thought I would share it! Glad I don't have to decide now. I just posted some thing in regards to some YouTube vids that show how much nebulous info was coming from Avid and talking points of management a moment ago.. See gives posted in the last 10 mn. Pretty funny actually when some of the Avid folks could not really answer questions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AadfCzKcUOM See 22min here I think and some other places

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 05-03-2015, 12:54 PM

Then there are people like me that decided a ONE TIME upgrade is worth it = 9HD to 10,11,12HD for $599......That would skew the numbers too if your trying to find a trend....I'm probably in the minority on that though...Also I have another license I'm going to let expire @ 9.....moon
Old 05-03-2015, 01:13 PM

as i commented on their farcebook page... that poll means about diddly squat. (about diddly squat = little to nothing) lol

KNOT HARDLY PRODUCTIONS LLP*
Knot Hardly Esquire
Farcebook Twatter

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Window$10 FX4300 MSI970A-G46 16Gb AMD7870
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

*a Limited Liability Persona
Old 05-04-2015, 05:41 AM

I think the question about whether the collaboration feature is free was answered. His response was that "a certain amount" of storage space and "a certain number" of projects can be stored in the cloud for free, but beyond that it will be a pay service. The amount of free storage space and number of free projects was not yet determined, nor was the pricing structure.

I found it telling that he described his demo as a "technology preview" and mentioned that many of the communication features are still being ironed out. It suggests that the collaboration feature might be a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Sure on all points. I just saw this today on their email to me and thought I would share it! Glad I don't have to decide now. I just posted some thing in regards to some YouTube vids that show how much nebulous info was coming from Avid and talking points of management a moment ago.. See gives posted in the last 10 mn. Pretty funny actually when some of the Avid folks could not really answer questions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AadfCzKcUOM See 22min here I think and some other places

G
Old 05-04-2015, 05:43 AM

I disagree. I think it gives a very clear picture of how users feel about PT12 at the current time. I think it's pretty obvious the initial release has not generated much interest. That could change with future revisions, but the initial response is tepid at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothardly View Post
as i commented on their farcebook page... that poll means about diddly squat. (about diddly squat = little to nothing) lol
Old 05-04-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
I think it's pretty obvious the initial release has not generated much interest. That could change with future revisions, but the initial response is tepid at best.
This poll does in fact mean nothing. It is just something else to talk about.

PT 13 will be to PT 12 what PT 11 was to PT 10.

What do I mean?

This same situation happened with PT 10. Many were very upset that it was not 64 bit, didn't have certain features and blah blah. A lot of people didn't upgrade to PT 10.

However, PT 10 was released primarily to smooth the transition from PT 32 bit and RTAS to PT 11 64 bit and AAX.

Now, many say they love PT 11.

The same is true for PT 12. It was released primarily to introduce the new subscription model. Avid simply needs to offer more features and the subscription will take a back seat.

Take this same poll for PT 13 and it will look similar to the PT 11 upgrade poll.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnnspv View Post
This poll does in fact mean nothing. It is just something else to talk about.

PT 13 will be to PT 12 what PT 11 was to PT 10.

What do I mean?

This same situation happened with PT 10. Many were very upset that it was not 64 bit, didn't have certain features and blah blah. A lot of people didn't upgrade to PT 10.

However, PT 10 was released primarily to smooth the transition from PT 32 bit and RTAS to PT 11 64 bit and AAX.

Now, many say they love PT 11.

The same is true for PT 12. It was released primarily to introduce the new subscription model. Avid simply needs to offer more features and the subscription will take a back seat.

Take this same poll for PT 13 and it will look similar to the PT 11 upgrade poll.
You may be right. However, this is probably the most radical move for Avid regarding PT since it's inception. The other point that always seems to get overlooked is the ambiguity of all the issues regarding HD users. At this time, there is no subscription available for HD. The HD users are basically being forced to pay $50 a month to purchase a service contract in order to maintain eligibility for future (PT 2016HD, PT 2017HD, etc.) upgrades. That's it. If you want to use HD and stay current with upgrades, in addition to purchasing a full software, hardware system, starting at $5000, you now have to pay an additional $50 a month in order to get the next years upgrade.

BTW, there won't be a PT13. It will be PT 2016, PT 2017, etc.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
You may be right. However, this is probably the most radical move for Avid regarding PT since it's inception. The other point that always seems to get overlooked is the ambiguity of all the issues regarding HD users. At this time, there is no subscription available for HD. The HD users are basically being forced to pay $50 a month to purchase a service contract in order to maintain eligibility for future (PT 2016HD, PT 2017HD, etc.) upgrades. That's it. If you want to use HD and stay current with upgrades, in addition to purchasing a full software, hardware system, starting at $5000, you now have to pay an additional $50 a month in order to get the next years upgrade.

BTW, there won't be a PT13. It will be PT 2016, PT 2017, etc.
I'm not excusing Avid from ironing out the HD policy. That does, however, tie into my earlier point.

Like PT 10, PT 12 will take all the blows and will be the version that suffers through the ironing out stages. When 12 is beaten to death (about a year or so from now) PT x will be released with new features and the poll will be similar to the PT 11 upgrade poll.

Quote:
However, this is probably the most radical move for Avid regarding PT since it's inception.
The same was said about going to 64 bit and moving completely away from RTAS. There is nothing new under the sun. That's all I'm getting at about the poll. I enjoy Russ' blog. I simply don't believe the poll means anything.