Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2012, 06:27 AM

Default Mac Book doesn't recognize Mbox 3 or digi 002

I wonder if anybody else has had or is having this problem:
I'm running Pro Tools LE 8.0.5 on a MacBook OS 10.6.8
Out of the blue the computer stopped recognizing the Mbox which I had been using as my audio interface (to Mackie HR 824's). The blue light remained on but it did not appear in the Sound menu from Sys Prefs. By unplugging the usb cable I can get it to appear sometimes, but only for about 90 seconds or so then it disappears from the menu again. I can not get it to work while it is selected in the menu. I have uninstalled the Mbox drivers and installed new ones from the Avid site. No change. I plugged in my digi 002 and it worked for awhile, but then exhibited the same symptoms as the Mbox. This problem did not coincide with any software update or installation. One day the Mbox worked the next day not.
After I discovered the problem I repaired the disk permissions and verified the drive from the install disk. No change. Does any one have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Mac Book doesn't recognize Mbox 3 or digi 002

I had the EXACT same problem. I went to the apple store to see if my usb ports were possibly going bad, they said they didn't seem to be. They suggested I take restore the OS disk and reset the SMC and PRAM I did that and still had the same problem. Let me know if you come up with any answers.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Mac Book doesn't recognize Mbox 3 or digi 002

I had the same problem as well... But it appears that the hardware has nothing to do with it, and I'll tell you why I'm saying this:

The first time the "light show" (the blue light started to flash) occurred was after I had installed a app called Soundflower, made by Cycling74, used to route audio signals from a software to another. Once I have uninstalled Soundflower, my Mbox resumed its normal function.

Sometime after that, I installed Logic Pro 9, and the problem came back. Again, it was just a matter of uninstalling Logic to make Mbox work again.

So, it's not a port malfunction, or an outdate driver - it seems that Mbox enters in conflict with other audio routing apps... And if in my case what triggered the problem was something I installed after having the Mbox drivers on my system, in other cases (maybe it's yours) the cause may be something that you already have implemented.

Can someone confirm this?