Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2011, 01:40 PM

Default Interface/Input Setup - First Time User

I've worked with Pro Tools, but I've never set up anything myself or started a project from scratch. I have a bunch of files from another studio that I'm trying to work with on my home computer for the first time.

Searched in the forum, but I think I'm so new that I don't know the terminology to look for! And other people probably don't have this problem.

I'm Using Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Pro Tools 9

I'm using a Zoom H4N as an interface. Specifically the "1" XLR input (though I've tried with "2"). 48V Phantom power is on and channel 1 is armed on the H4N.

Microphone is a Neumann TLM 103.

The interface on the H4N shows that the microphone is picking up sound...i.e. the signal from mic to H4N is working.

I *think* the problem is the signal from the H4N to Pro Tools.

the H4N shows up on my computer's Audio Midi Setup Utility. I have the H4N selected as the input and the built-in output selected as the output.

I don't know how to designate the H4N as the input for Pro Tools. If I go Setup > Hardware, the only Peripheral listed is "Built-In Output." If from there I click "Launch Setup App," (which launches the aforementioned Audio Midi Setup Utility) the H4N appears selected as the input - but still not as a peripheral option in Setup > Hardware! I've tried restarting Pro Tools several times.

When I pull up the Pro Tools mixer and try to select an input from the interface, " - path N/A" appears after each input option. If I try to arm the track for recording, a dialog box pops up saying, "The track could not be record-enabled because it doesn't have both an active input and output assigned."

I am completely confused and intimidated by the Setup > I/O option... it seems like it has more to do with naming channels than choosing the interface for input. Is that right? If not, set me straight! It might be the key, but at the moment it's beyond me...

Also baffled by the Setup > Peripherals option. Of course, checked out tutorials for it, but there's so much info out there I can't find anything that seems relevant to my issue.

Don't even know where to go to begin solving this problem... just so new at it that I lack the vocabulary and context.

Anybody have step-by-step instructions for connecting an interface and using it with Pro Tools? Suggestions about the mistakes I might be making?

Ideas about what might be causing the problem:
1. H4N may not work with Pro Tools 9 - though 9 is supposed to be compatible with all interfaces?
2. Should I launch the interface and Pro Tools in a certain order? Is one supposed to be up and running before the other? (I've tried fiddling with this, no success).
3. I'm a total NOOB! I've fooled around with ProTools, but it's kicking my butt :P

Thank you very much! Please let me know if I've omitted any details... 'tis my first forum post.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Interface/Input Setup - First Time User

I've read in other threads that using th H4n works fine with PT9. I myself happen be having the same problem with my Saffire Pro 40 though... I can only select Built-in Output under the Hardware Setup options. No idea why... since the Saffire was there before. I have no idea how to get it back. I'm in PT9 too.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:13 PM

I fixed it. I had to go under Setup -> playback engine in protools and then choose the interface again from the top menu item which is "Current engine." Once selected, I was able to choose it everywhere else in the app.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:34 AM

PT 9.0.3
Mac Pro version 10.6.6
003 Rack PT interface

I'm having a similar problem to the original post above. When I pull up the Pro Tools mixer and try to select an input from the interface, " - path N/A" appears after each input option from inputs 3 - 8. I was however able to use inputs 1 & 2.

I was using PT9.0.1 for many months without a problem. One day I turned it on and it was like that. I had changed none of the menu settings prior. At least at that time I could hear playback and record with inputs 1 & 2. Then, a few days later... I no longer could do either of those... even though I could the last time I turned it on.

I upgraded to PT 9.0.3 hoping that would help, but the problem still persisted.

The last answer in this post got my playback going again and I was able to record again with inputs 1 & 2 by changing the top menu item from "PT aggregate I/O" to "003" I didn't make that change previously from 003 though. After a restart... I was then able to use all the inputs again. So one question if anyone knows how this change happened without my knowledge? I'm assuming 003 is the correct setting since it now works.

Another quirky thing is that inputs 2 & 4 now say "analog" instead of "input" and my outputs 3 - 8 all say analog as well although the 1 & 2 outputs still say "output." To the best of my memory... they've always said either "input or output" respectively. So I'm not sure of what it means that they now say different things.

I've been using PT since 1996 and have never come accross anything like this before.

thank you
Sincerely,
Scott
Old 08-04-2011, 04:18 PM

When you import a session that was created with a different I/O setup than your current one, these sorts of issues can happen.

Setup>I/O, there is a checkbox for "Sessions overwrite current I/O setup when opened". You may want to consider whether or not you want to choose this option.

As brandobean said, make sure you've selected your hardware in Setup>Playback Engine. Then go to Setup>I/O and click on default button>OK

Now see if I/O options show up on channel strip input

Once you get a working I/O setup, I'd suggest 'Exporting' It (Setup>I/O>Export Settings). That way if you have a problem you can 'Import' your working I/O setup using the button next to Export settings.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O