Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 PM

Default Re: DAE error 9031 in PT9, fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
This may not solve any of your problems, but a person I know had these errors that went away when he removed "Structure" from the plugins folder. Even the free version seemed to give him problems. Give it a try, it might not help you in this case but who knows it might be a solution for you (unless of course you use and rely on structure, but at least it may help narrow it down for you)

Again, this person I know did not even own structure but it appears in the plugins folder anyways as a "free" version. It gave him trouble even if he was not using it. Give it a try, remove it for a couple days, do things get better?
Interesting.You know what, I used to get the 9031 all the time! And its when I was using structure free. Have not used it in a long time and also have not gotten this error since I stopped using structure free.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:22 AM

I've still got serious doubts about structure, but it's not an option for me to even try removing it from the plugin folder. It's running the drum triggers for about 75% of our sessions, plus various other things. With such an intermittent error I can't even test potential solutions unless I can continue to run normal sessions.

I'm especially annoyed because I WAS talking to AVID via the customer success thing, and the last communication I had in January was this:

Quote:
Entered By : Michael York
Entered on : 1/4/2011 5:09 AM
Hello Sheena,

Happy new year to you.

Thanks for the confirmation on drive formatting. I'm going to leave this case open and we really need to pick up on this when the next 8.x release is available, then we'll see what bearing it has on your problem.

Your continued patience is much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Michael
Which was fine at the time, but that support method has since been discontinued. I managed to login and post a new response, but I haven't yet received a reply and I suspect it's no longer generating emails at avid's end. So what do I do now? The only real solution anyone seems to have is upgrading to 9 which I'm pretty reluctant to do given that no-one seems to know what's causing this and they never even managed to get 8 working properly. Had another one today. That's one every day I've used it since the 8.1.1 upgrade apart from the first.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:52 AM

What a frustrating bug. I also get these semi-frequently. It is almost like I can sense it coming right before it happens. However, I don't think I have had one since updating to 8.1.1 But I think I have probably just been lucky.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-19-2011, 12:29 PM

Make that 3 today. And the last time PT wouldn't relaunch after until I rebooted. I think I may cry a little.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:54 AM

I guess this isn't a problem anymore. Did anyone figure out the solution?
When it happens to me I go in and do a lot of things like limit to 4 cpu's/more buffer/yada ...and suddenly it works, no idea what was the cause ...
Old 09-03-2011, 05:10 AM

No, I caved and went to PT9. Had no errors since, but there never was a solution under PT8. Avid were completely unable to reproduce the issue in their testing department so couldn't help very much. I went through every hardware and software test imaginable trying to find a cause, but no joy. It was always very intermittent for me too, but I never changed playback engine settings so I certainly don't think that has anything to do with it. I'm afraid your choices are upgrade or live with it. Sorry!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:22 PM

Also this error happens when your external drives are FW800 and bussed down to FW400 and vice versa..... In theory this should not happen but it is an error that I can recreate... I have not alerted Avid with a thread however... Too busy...
Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
Interesting.You know what, I used to get the 9031 all the time! And its when I was using structure free. Have not used it in a long time and also have not gotten this error since I stopped using structure free.
Ah-ha! There we go. I had never used Structure Free before - would always go with using Reason, since I had a good collection of drum samples in Reason's format.

But then on a few recent sessions, I had some drum samples just as WAV files that I wanted to use, and for convenience sake (not ReWiring a separate application) I decided to try using Structure Free for triggering samples.

On these sessions (and these alone), I have been getting several of these 9031 errors a day. Yes, the kind where I have to quit and relaunch Pro Tools for it to clear. I've tried opening Hardware Settings, and switching buffer sizes around to try to force the DAE buffers to reset. No luck there - a relaunch was still needed. And while in Hardware Settings, I turned the Disk Streaming Buffer, or whatever that's called, up to max - didn't help.

So, Structure Free is the culprit, at least in my case. So much for convenience...

Leigh

PT 8.0.5 (M-Powered)
Profire 2626
Mac OS 10.5

Last edited by Leigh Marble; 09-29-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: added system information
Old 09-29-2011, 04:50 PM

Sorry to hear you guys get this problem too, but glad to hear I'm not alone.... it's a real pain - appears often during playback (mixing) but rarely when recording (even when looping). I've got no firewire drives and have never used Structure and this problem is much worse in PT9 than it was in PT8.n.

Not happy Jan :-(.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 PM

The -9019 / -9031 combo is killing me today. I've gotten that thrown up at me 9 times in the last 6 hours. Really great for workflow to have to watch your computer lock up for a minute and then need to relaunch PT on top of that.

Once thing I didn't mention, though maybe someone else did here - I always get the 9019/9031 combo at least twice in a row. In between, there's a long pause, while PT's windows have greyed-out title bars, and the application is inaccessible.

So, f' this, I'll print the Structure Free tracks to disk and disable those plug-ins. See if that makes the errors stop.

Leigh