Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 06:29 AM

Default layering tracks for a thicker rock guitar tone

Is there a major difference in sound between copy/pasting to three tracks for a total of 4 tracks for a guitar part VERSUS 4 seperate tracked performances (played the same as possible all with the same mic???) Technically it would almost be the same effect, right?

How many tracks do you generally use for rhythm guitars in : classic rock, modern rock, heavier rock???

How many tracks do you use for the lead guitar in these genres of rock?

BTW where can I buy the footswitch for my mbox2pro for punching in ?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Re: layering tracks for a thicker rock guitar tone

Quote:
Is there a major difference in sound between copy/pasting to three tracks for a total of 4 tracks for a guitar part VERSUS 4 seperate tracked performances (played the same as possible all with the same mic???) Technically it would almost be the same effect, right?
Coping & pasting will give you more volume, nothing more…

The separate performances (doubling) is the thing that will give you the huge guitar sound…

I nearly always have 4 tracks of guitars* for rhythm stuff, 2 on each side…

Lead I only do 1 as a rule… Plus when doubling lead the player has to be quite tight ot say the least...

Cheers

N
* I think I did 6 tracks of guitars on the ‘Cancer – Spirit in Flames’ album, but that was something the band wanted more than I did really….
Old 01-19-2007, 10:10 AM

Also, try using different guitars or amps or settings or tunings to get a bigger sound too. All the different tones will blend into a wall of guitar!!! Definitely track separate guitars, don't just copy them.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:49 AM

Even recording only 2 tracks, each track using a different pickup on the guitar (bridge and neck for example), and panning them to opposite sides will make a dramatic difference.

The thickening comes from the different overtones that are particular to each guitar-amp-pickup-pedal-tuning combo being laid on top of one another. Simply copying and pasting 1 track over and over again won't accomplish that.

Just make sure that the mix has room for the thick guitars. Recording a bunch of rhythm guitar tracks, then putting a bunch of pads (like strings or keyboards) on top of that might make for a muddy mix.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:58 PM

thanks guys! I never knew it would make so much more of a difference!