Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2015, 02:41 AM

Default Pro Tools 12 incompatible with MBOX MINI 2?

Hey there, I recently bought Pro Tools 12 after a few years using much older versions though I cannot for the life of me get it to work with my old MBOX 2 Mini.

I've downloaded the latest legacy driver from Avid though still there is no option to select the MBOX from the I/O menu in Pro Tools and the light on the MBOX isn't coming on.

Any ideas? I've googled incompatibility between the MBOX 2 Mini and Pro Tools 12 though can't find any mention of it.

My computer specs are:

2010 model iMac
2.66GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
4GB Ram
Running latest version of Yosemite

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers!

Last edited by moyno85; 05-11-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 incompatible with MBOX MINI 2?

Hi,

Since you say you had been using much older versions of PT, you may not be aware of this - I believe the mBox Mini is sort of redundant now, due to the fact that since PT9 (if I remember correctly), your computer's built-in output can be used without any additional interface. Just go to Setup.. Playback Engine and choose Built-In Output or ProTools Aggregate I/O. You won't have the handy volume control that you had on your Mini, but the computer's own volume controls should work. I haven't used my own mBox Mini since.

EDIT!! Sorry, just realised that I'm talking about the mBox Micro, rather than Mini. My apologies.
PT Ultimate 2023.9.0

Last edited by pdubber; 05-10-2015 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-10-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyno85 View Post
Hey there, I recently bought Pro Tools 12 after a few years using much older versions though I cannot for the life of me get it to work with my old MBOX 2 Mini.

I've downloaded the latest legacy driver from Avid though still there is no option to select the MBOX from the I/O menu in Pro Tools and the light on the MBOX isn't coming on.

Any ideas? I've googled incompatibility between the MBOX 2 Mini and Pro Tools 12 though can't find any mention of it.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers!
it really helps to know:

Operating System you are on
Your computer specs
Old 05-11-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatamas View Post
it really helps to know:

Operating System you are on
Your computer specs
Sorry, totally forgot.

Specs are:
2010 model iMac
2.66GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
4GB Ram
Running latest version of Yosemite
Old 05-11-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubber View Post
Hi,

Since you say you had been using much older versions of PT, you may not be aware of this - I believe the mBox Mini is sort of redundant now, due to the fact that since PT9 (if I remember correctly), your computer's built-in output can be used without any additional interface. Just go to Setup.. Playback Engine and choose Built-In Output or ProTools Aggregate I/O. You won't have the handy volume control that you had on your Mini, but the computer's own volume controls should work. I haven't used my own mBox Mini since.

EDIT!! Sorry, just realised that I'm talking about the mBox Micro, rather than Mini. My apologies.
Hey, thanks for the reply. Using the computers built-in output is great but I need to be able to INPUT instruments etc. as well.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:42 AM

Again, apologies for my earlier post. You clearly stated Mbox 2 Mini, but I was thinking Mbox 2 Micro.

I don't have a Mini, but I still may be able to help. I have a regular Mbox 2 (not Mini), and there are a couple of hoops I have to jump through to get it to work with PT11.3.1 and Yosemite. I know you're on PT12, but I think they may work for you as well.

1) DON'T use the latest Mbox 2 driver. It doesn't work with Mavericks or Yosemite. Instead, install the previous driver, version 10.3.3. See post number 7 in this thread http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...=yosemite+mbox where orchetect has provided detailed instructions on how to uninstall the latest driver and install 10.3.3 instead.

2) After you have booted up and logged in, disconnect and reconnect your Mbox at the computer's USB port to get the box to power up. I didn't have to do this with Mavericks, but since moving to Yosemite I have. Bit of a pain, but it works. And as long as you don't reboot the computer, the mBox should stay powered up.

Good luck.
PT Ultimate 2023.9.0