Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-16-2006, 05:21 PM

Default serial number / ilok - I\'m lost

Hi, I recently invested in a HD system. Got everything new except for the core card that I got off ebay. The core card is a PCIe, and came with the install CD of protools v6.9.2 (!) (with serial number) and no iLok USB key. When digitest couldn't find any interfaces, I upgraded to 7.1. Once on 7.1, I realized I need an iLok... So, I went out, and got one.
- why do I need a license considering the software won't run unless you have $30k of proprietary hardware (core, 192 etc...) ???
- where can I now find a licence that I can put in my iLok ???
- if it's necessary, where can I buy that licence ???

Had I baught the core new, the story would have been different and I'd probably have a pre-licensed iLok in the package... But at this stage can some one shed some light on what I need to do ??

Thank you,
Nils
Old 06-16-2006, 05:25 PM

Default Re: serial number / ilok - I\'m lost

When you bought 7.1, Digi sent an authorizatioin to the iLok.com account name you gave them.
Go to your iLok account, and download it to your key.

PT before V7 did NOT have iLok authorizations.

Oh, wait a minute........I think PCIe cards should be sold with PT software, but its not 6.9, it should have been 7
Old 06-16-2006, 05:31 PM

When you buy PT 7.0 you get two authorizations. One to put on you iLok and one to hold on your iLok accout.
Do you have an iLok account?
As far as the question about why iLok for 7.0, it forces legitimate upgrades.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Hi, I recently invested in a HD system. Got everything new except for the core card that I got off ebay. The core card is a PCIe, and came with the install CD of protools v6.9.2 (!) (with serial number) and no iLok USB key. When digitest couldn't find any interfaces, I upgraded to 7.1. Once on 7.1, I realized I need an iLok... So, I went out, and got one.
- why do I need a license considering the software won't run unless you have $30k of proprietary hardware (core, 192 etc...) ???
- where can I now find a licence that I can put in my iLok ???
- if it's necessary, where can I buy that licence ???

Had I baught the core new, the story would have been different and I'd probably have a pre-licensed iLok in the package... But at this stage can some one shed some light on what I need to do ??

Thank you,
Nils
Hello Nils and welcome to the DUC

As a new user things can be quite confusing at first!

So to quote you..>i upgraded to 7.1<?? uh, so you bought 7.1? or how did you get 7.1? Like all of us, version 7 was a paid upgrade! after purchase from the digistore an authorisation to run version 7 will be deposited into your ilok account (create one here www.ilok.com its free)

You can download your software by logging into your account at the digi store and viewing your purchases and downloads.

If you bought version 7 from a dealer then an ilok with the auth would have been provided with the software install CD.

I think i'm correct when i say... To install 7.1 you must have a version of pro tools 7 installed first? so you must purchase version 7 then upgrade to 7.1 and the latest cs(customer support) version cs8.

When you install your software! follow the install and troubleshooting tips exactly.......

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#177661

Oh, who ever sold you the PCIe card on ebay should have given you the version 7 software with it! 6.9.2 is useless with pcie.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:46 PM

Thank you all for replying so promptly !

I download PT 7.1 from the support area under:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...5&itemid=22835
By being so easy to download I though that particular version was free (... alright, you can laugh )

I know PCIe core card are shipped with PT7 and license. I think my issue simple comes down to a packaging error by the ebay guy. I did organize with him yesterday to transfer his license to my iLok.

So everything is working as far as I can see.

Again, thanks!
Nils