Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-10-2011, 09:13 PM

Default PT 9 + Lion - What To Do, Any Est. Time-Frame?

My preamp and interface will probably be set up with my Mac Lion soon. I just started a voice over business. Purchased PT 9. You know the rest. Any link on how to uninstall Lion and reinstall Snow L? My only backups in Time Capsule are Lion's. But I am assuming my User applications and all personal files should transfer back to Snow L ok. To wait for PT 9 compatibility resolution or try to get Snow L going again. That is my dilemma. Any links or advice would be helpful. (a restart C button option with the Snow L disc does not work) Is there a reasonable time-frame for the PT 9 Lion update? Thanks.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 PM

Default Re: PT 9 + Lion - What To Do, Any Est. Time-Frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesorensen View Post
To wait for PT 9 compatibility resolution or try to get Snow L going again.
Does that mean you used to have Snow Leo installed and you did the upgrade to Lion yourself? If so, shame on you.

If you bought a new Lion-only computer from a dealer and you told them what you'd be using it for, shame on them.

Tell us what kind of computer it is and we'll see if we can help. If it's a Lion-only model, I'd get on the phone or go down to your dealer and give them an earful and demand a refund, because you've got no other option than to wait it out. You're most likely going to be waiting at least several more weeks - and most likely a lot longer - for a qualified PT Lion release, and then when it does come out you're basically making yourself and your 'new business' a beta tester, which is hardly professional.

If you're really trying to run a real business, get yourself a Snow Leo machine and accept that you're going to be running PT9 on 10.6.x until at least Thanksgiving, and more likely Christmas or beyond depending on how many plug-in vendors etc. you'll be waiting on in addition to PT support.

For comparison's sake, the majority of pro facilities are still running PT8, so that should give you an idea of the rate of adoption for new software for real businesses that rely on Pro Tools for their income.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 PM

C'mon people! Why are you so desperate to have PT running on Lion? Drive your energy towards music! The first thread (Mac OS X Lion Compatibility Alert) should suffice. If you're feeling anxious, sign Avid's tech feed so you'll be the first to know when Lion and PT get along.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesorensen View Post
My preamp and interface will probably be set up with my Mac Lion soon. I just started a voice over business. Purchased PT 9. You know the rest. Any link on how to uninstall Lion and reinstall Snow L? My only backups in Time Capsule are Lion's. But I am assuming my User applications and all personal files should transfer back to Snow L ok. To wait for PT 9 compatibility resolution or try to get Snow L going again. That is my dilemma. Any links or advice would be helpful. (a restart C button option with the Snow L disc does not work) Is there a reasonable time-frame for the PT 9 Lion update? Thanks.
If you have an external drive to spare, you might consider creating a bootable partition on it with Snow Leopard installed. Though it is merely a duct tape solution, it is a solution nonetheless for the time being. The process is outlined at the following site:

http://www.maciverse.com/installing-...ard-drive.html
Old 08-11-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
For comparison's sake, the majority of pro facilities are still running PT8, so that should give you an idea of the rate of adoption for new software for real businesses that rely on Pro Tools for their income.
True. I work in a pro video post house in Manhattan and we're still running PT v8.0.4, and from what I hear, our engineer is in no hurry to upgrade to Lion at his point. That's at the day job. Now, you wanna really laugh? I'm still recording/editing/mixing music at home at night for my band on a G4 running PT 5.1. It's amazing what you can accomplish w/ the right attitude and a little patience. Or is it a little attitude and the right patience? (What can I say...I ain't made of money and can't be upgrading every other year, lol. I've been using Macs since the SE came out in the late 80's. Think I'm on my fourth Mac, counting that one. But I digress...)

That said, I AM seriously looking into a MacBook Pro w/ PT9 very soon (it's 'bout that time), and have been devouring all the info here that I have the time to read (the whole heat/fan issue has me a bit hesitant). Still trying to decide whether to wait for Lion to be qualified, as I'm not really in that big o' hurry to buy right this second. So, in a sense, I sympathize...
Old 08-11-2011, 01:49 PM

Sorry, I didn't really have anything pertinent to the OP. It's a little lonely in the edit room on a late Thurs., lol.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:39 PM

10.7 support, maybe September if not then January

return the computer and buy one from the Apple Referb Store that still has 10.6

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-11-2011, 05:59 PM

I bought a refurb iMac for exactly that purpose, was told that it would ship with SL, booted it up, had Lion. Been working with Apple Support for a week to get the SL disks for downgrade-
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKeys View Post
I bought a refurb iMac for exactly that purpose, was told that it would ship with SL, booted it up, had Lion. Been working with Apple Support for a week to get the SL disks for downgrade-
Did you get the refurb from Apple or third party?

QAPLA!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:51 AM

From Apple directly.
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4