Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2009, 03:58 AM

Angry Digi Statement about EW Play?! RTAS!!!!!

Quote:
Unfortunately, EastWest products are not tested or supported by Digidesign, the software manufacturers would be the best people to speak with in terms of any known issues and any potential workarounds. We do not have any information on this. The version that they appear to have qualified with Pro Tools 8.0 is v1.2.0:
This is a statement someone said they received from Digidesign. Is this true?!

Or is this simply the case with all 3rd party developers, whereby they must test/approve their products to work with Pro Tools, and not vice versa.

Either way, it would be nice to know if there is ever going to be any hope that Play might ever funtion properly in Pro Tools.

Wasn't there a big heart felt post by Digi 6 months ago, saying they were going to take the RTAS issue seriously, and that "major improvements were on the way" to make Pro Tools competivie with other DAWs that run 3rd party libraries/plug-ins with ease.

What ever happened to that statement Digi!! (Scott?)
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 04-09-2009, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Digi Statement about EW Play?! RTAS!!!!!

This is not true, right?

Digi please shed some light on this one!
Old 04-09-2009, 04:43 AM

Are you saying that Digi should test and support other companies software?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Are you saying that Digi should test and support other companies software?
Test no. Support yes.

Support means they are in dialogue with a developer, and provide timely betas, coding and support to the 3rd party so they can optimize their plug/libraries for Pro Tools, so they can then put the little "RTAS Compatible" label on adverts/boxes and make more sales.

Or have I got this wrong? I am not a developer.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaifox View Post
Test no. Support yes.

Support means they are in dialogue with a developer, and provide timely betas, coding and support to the 3rd party so they can optimize their plug/libraries for Pro Tools, so they can then put the little "RTAS Compatible" label on adverts/boxes and make more sales.

Or have I got this wrong? I am not a developer.
The "RTAS Logo" does not seem to appear on any page on the East West site.
http://www.soundsonline.com/EastWest...pr-EW-177.html

But no doubt RTAS is a little sketchy - I found setting my CPU on 4 Processors out of 8 seems to minimize RTAS errors but they still do appear.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:25 AM

Based on this web page I would say that EastWest is expecting people to use PLAY w/PT8. I would contact them and see what they think the issue might be.

https://www.soundsonline.com/support...nloaditemid=91

Erik
Old 04-09-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchwood Studios View Post
The "RTAS Logo" does not seem to appear on any page on the East West site.
It does under "Tech Specs".
Old 04-09-2009, 08:35 AM

I bought a bunch of their libraries and have not installed them yet. (installing a brand new system from scratch). Is there a way I can install them for use in other programs (ie skipping the rtas install) or if I install with rtas as long as I don't load will I be fine with stability?

Not to hijack the thread but just to understand. I also have native instruments Komplete. I rather have a stable system then use of all my plugins at the moment. So what I am basically asking is the same question as I heard there plugins are unstable with rtas as well. So if I install do I:
1) Install but not do a rtas install.
2) Do a Rtas install but just not load and use them in protools
3) Don't install at all and wait for feedback that the plugins are stable

THANKS!!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:10 AM

East/West Play is on Digi's plugin compatibility chart. At what level of support or testing..I'm not sure. EW says they are working with Digi...

http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?lang...n=news_details

There still are a few problems....even with the latest update. Play is "sort of" usable for me.

Update: just saw version 1.2.3 for play on e/w
Old 04-09-2009, 10:56 AM

Hello. Well Digidesign Tech Support shed some light on the subject some months back on a thread about plug in compatibility. Here is quote #1
Quote:
You don't even know what kind of hell would descend on us if we were to turn it all over to 3P's. First, customers would say we were doing them a disservice by not testing. Second, we would probably have customer service nightmares as we wouldn't know for sure if the plug-in worked or not - some 3P's are great about testing, some...not so much.

Really, though - we think testing as many as we can ourselves is the best way to go. It helps us, it helps customers - a win/win.
And here is quote #2
Quote:
The columns for each plug-in version are the minimum required and/or tested with. Earlier versions *may* work, but they were either not tested or showed enough issues to be disqualified. We cannot and do not test every 3rd party plug-in version for compatibility - we try, but there are just too many of them to fit into our testing grid.
So from those quotes we can learn that Digidesign does in house testing of third party plug ins for compatibility but not all. On the others they rely on the third party to have their stuff together.

Here is the original thread http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...ht=Plug&page=2