Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 10:11 AM

Default PCIe to PCIe expansion?

I opted for the Mix3 to HD3 PCIe upgrade to be utilized with a dual core G5 because it was not feasible for me to purchase a new computer and expansion chassis at this time.

But I definitely want to be able add additional cards to my system in the near future. I haven’t seen or heard anything from Digi addressing this issue. Is PCIe to PCIe expansion not possible?

Orville
Old 02-10-2006, 10:46 AM

Default Re: PCIe to PCIe expansion?

>I haven’t seen or heard anything from Digi addressing this issue.<

I have a feeling that Digi's new chassis will be their only offering for the foreseeable future.

> Is PCIe to PCIe expansion not possible?<

It is possible. SBS makes a PCIe chassis with as many as 19 PCIe slots. They're made primarily for arrays of single board computers, but I would think they would work with any PCIe card. There aren't any currently qualified PCIe chassis' for Digidesign cards however. You should be in good shape for awhile though. Since your PCIe Core Card has Accel chips on it, you have a bit more power than a regular HD-3 PCI system.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Since your PCIe Core Card has Accel chips on it, you have a bit more power than a regular HD-3 PCI system.
Not by much... read the PDF file/whitepaper - once you get to HD3, things basically even out -- yes, there's about 11% bump in MIPS, but due to chip allocation, the net can be zero.

It's a great paper that anyone interested in PCIe cards should read.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:38 AM

I'm about to upgade my HD3 to HD3Accel pcie (since there is no HD3 to Accel 2) I want to sell my third card so if you would be interested let me know. Looks like I will have the only one for sale!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the response filmixer! That's good information.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:12 PM

Wow.. just noticed you live in St. Thomas.. what kind of work do you do out there? Must be a nice lifestyle. Suppose to snow here tomorrow
Old 02-10-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Wow.. just noticed you live in St. Thomas.. what kind of work do you do out there? Must be a nice lifestyle. Suppose to snow here tomorrow
I record mostly caribbean music. But as musician I"m into R&B, pop and rock music. I hate to drop this on you but I'll be on the beach tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:54 PM

Magma is working on one. Someone there told me that it would be June 2006 at the earliest. Digi's silence on PCIe to PCIe expansion is interesting...