Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2013, 10:49 AM

Default Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2 and PT 10

Hello! I'm planning a recording session with my band using above mentioned setup (Sony Vaio running Win 7 64-bit and an external HD for recorded audio).
We plan on doing few takes of each song using playlists in pro tools (or should we use a new session / new take?). The arrangements of the songs are locked and will not change during recording.
The plan is to record drums first and then overdub individual instruments and vocals later.

Here's how I plan on micing:

SL Channel:
1 Kick
2 Snare
3 TomTom
4 Floor Tom
5 Oh/R
6 Oh/L
7 Bass
8 Guitar
9 Guitar
10 Keyboard
11 Vocal
12 Click track from Pro Tools (FW engaged in the desk)

Pro Tools will have a click track engaged during recording and it will come up to the channel 12 on the desk. During the recording of the takes we use SL 16.4.2 for monitoring using the auxs 1-6.

I'm hoping to get good takes for the drums this way, but most probably we need to overdub drums too.

Now, I read elsewhere on presonus forum-site this (I suppose this applies to using SL 16.4.2 as well):

In this situation, Use channels 25 (17) and 26 (1 )Main Mix. Turn off the Firewire buttons on all 24 (16) tracks. Arm only the tracks you want to overdub.

Select the FIREWIRE button under the 2-track input on the right side of the console. Use the volume knob above it to adjust the volume.

Now make sure you have your computer configured (and DAW) to send the main mix to Channels 25 and 26. You will hear all 24 channels playing to the main out so set the faders in the DAW to get the sound you want on the main mix.

Now start playback and when you punch in (start recording) the SAW will automatically mute the existing armed track(s) at the point the recording begins and you will hear the new audio being recorded. If you don't have any effects or plug-ins on the tracks, there will be no delay.

This is how we do it everyday. Once the track is recoded, we never feed it back to the board on it's own track. We use the main mix so the DAW can control exactly what you asked about.

This sounds like a simplest way to do do the overdubs to me. For monitoring I'll send the main mix from the board through main out to an external headphone amp ->players headphone. The levels for monitoring are set in DAW.

The editing and mixing will be done in the box using PT 10.

Does this look like a a easy and simple plan proceed with? Is there drawbacks in this method and what would you change in my approach?

Last edited by marko_salo; 08-17-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typos...