Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Where is 6.9.2 LE!?!?

Quote:
They don't release anything until all/most of the bugs are fixed.
LOL!!!

That's awesome, I've been needing a good joke lately!
Old 06-19-2005, 09:57 AM

Ha, well... That's why I had to put "/most". Even though the release is slow, and even though I still find a bug a day, I'm not complaining. I love what I work with and I can still be patient.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 06-19-2005, 01:50 PM

Quote:
why do you all always rush for updates?
I will never understand that.
If you are a mac user, you can use your 6.9 with 10.3
I ordered one 2 weeks ago, will, get it in 1 week, and I´m happy to wait. I have not a problem with this, because I know, it will be there in 1 or 2 weeks, and it will work.
It is not a matter of a Pro Tools update, I want to install Tiger on my systems. I can't do that with out an update from Digi. As for waiting,Tiger has been out for awhile now and still no update.

Quote:
Major motion picture work should be done on an HD system, not LE.
I never said major motion picture sound is done on an LE system (although many editors use it as a side car editing system to their HD systems). I was stating that Digidesign as a whole is not great with their software development. And I know a lot of editors working on MAJOR motion pictures that are looking for a new alternative. My brother is a sound effects editor and has worked on many major motion pictures (nomintated for many academy awards) and he has been doing it since mag, synclavier, fairlight and pro tools. And he is meeting with the Sound Track Pro guys on tuesday to discuss using their software on his next show. I know that Van Helsing (a major sound job movie) was done on a Nuendo system and it was on the dub stage at Todd AO stage 1. The rig was a PC with two Madi sound cards spiting out 112 channels, no other interfaces.

As for the bug comment, you most not use Pro Tools that much because every version has had major bugs. All I am saying with this post is that we all spend a lot of money on Digidesign's products. I don't know if any of you use other pieces of software on your computers, but they were all ready for this switch. Can you really tell me that Digidesign has the hardest software to code for a Mac? It is just expected that when a computer company announces a OS upgrade that the software manufacturers will be ready a year later. How can you argue with that?
Old 06-19-2005, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I never said major motion picture sound is done on an LE system
Well your complaint, on the LE forum, referring to sound editors working on (major motion pictures) sure made it sound like that was your point.

Quote:
My brother is a sound effects editor and has worked on many major motion pictures (nomintated for many academy awards) and he has been doing it since mag, synclavier, fairlight and pro tools. And he is meeting with the Sound Track Pro guys on tuesday to discuss using their software on his next show. I know that Van Helsing (a major sound job movie) was done on a Nuendo system and it was on the dub stage at Todd AO stage 1. The rig was a PC with two Madi sound cards spiting out 112 channels, no other interfaces.
Sincere congratulations to your brother. Your two examples do not suggest a movement of editors unhappy with Pro Tools and seeking an alternative. I understand and share your frustrations. If an alternative came around that could interface with Pro Tools equipped dub stages, I'd be one of the first in line to try it out. However, Soundtrack Pro isn't it. I'd still like to know what specific things about Pro Tools are making "most of the editors you work with" want an alternative.

Quote:
It is just expected that when a computer company announces a OS upgrade that the software manufacturers will be ready a year later. How can you argue with that?
I'm not. My problem with your post was the manner in which you professed that Digidesign is a "horrible...awful software company", and then referred to "major motion picture editors" to somehow back-up that opinion. That is just not true. Their software has been emulated by every other manufacturere out there. Even to the point where MOTU DP offers a Pro tools layout setting and the ability to map command focus key commands to the keyboard layout.

They are the benchmark that all others seem to be compared to. Did they drop the ball on Tiger? Maybe. But take a moment and consider what this software can do! I am amazed everyday at the power. My splice block and razor blade collect dust while I cut sfx for major motion pictures at home.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, as am I.
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 06-19-2005, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Ha, well... That's why I had to put "/most". Even though the release is slow, and even though I still find a bug a day, I'm not complaining. I love what I work with and I can still be patient.
Yeah, I agree- I was just joking around.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:31 AM

I used two examples, yes and I understand that doesn't account for all sound editors. But I was a Pro Tools technician at one of the most used Pro Tools rental companies on town, for two and half years. In that time I worked with many editors from small b movies to major motion pictures and TV. 80% of them said they would switch in a heart beat if there was a better alternative. And yes right now there is not a better alternative but the other software companies are working there hardest to come up with a better solution. Also keep in mind we are only talking about software and most of these pieces of software can still use Digidesign hardware. It doesn't matter if a lot of them have "copied" Pro Tools they have also added a lot of features. I love Pro Tools. But it is a love hate relationship and just know that a lot of other people have that same type of relationship and are on the edge and waiting for a new alternative. All I was saying in my post is that I wish Digidesign would be more on top of their software development. I don't understand how you guys can accept a major software company allowing this. Oh and my other post was not complaining about LE being used in post production. The whole point of that post was saying that LE is NOT taking post business away from other people. I read a couple of posts that said LE can and is taking work away from TDM users and I thought that was crazy. Please read things before you comment.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:03 AM

Quote:
why do you all always rush for updates?
I will never understand that.
If you are a mac user, you can use your 6.9 with 10.3
I ordered one 2 weeks ago, will, get it in 1 week, and I´m happy to wait. I have not a problem with this, because I know, it will be there in 1 or 2 weeks, and it will work.
so stop crying like babies, there is simply no reason for that!!!

take care,

Andi
well i have to agree with some other posts in this thread. It's not a matter of rushing up for updates only. People buying new equipment these weeks are stuck. I hadn't check this forum in a week or two, since the TDM/HD version for Tiger was released, and tried to install a new system for a client yesterday (new Mac G5, with Tiger only OS, new 002R, etc.) thinking that this issue was already solved, beacuse more than a week had passed then, but I realized it's still on the waiting list. And also, some digidesign distributors, at least the Sam Ash store where these equipments were bought aren't even aware of this compatibility issue, they didn't alert my client about it, and when we called them they said "you just need to go to "apple" web page and download the latest version". Can you see that? They don't even know you have to go to digidesign web page to download it, but also they aren't even aware that it is not solved yet. So, it is a serious problem. Of course it is going to be solved soon, but it should have been now
That's my two cents
Old 06-20-2005, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I used two examples, yes and I understand that doesn't account for all sound editors. But I was a Pro Tools technician at one of the most used Pro Tools rental companies on town, for two and half years. In that time I worked with many editors from small b movies to major motion pictures and TV. 80% of them said they would switch in a heart beat if there was a better alternative.... I love Pro Tools. But it is a love hate relationship
So you love Pro Tools and made a living renting the system to editors, but then post that Digidesign is a "horible software company"? Do you kick your dog too?

Quote:
Oh and my other post was not complaining about LE being used in post production. The whole point of that post was saying that LE is NOT taking post business away from other people. I read a couple of posts that said LE can and is taking work away from TDM users and I thought that was crazy. Please read things before you comment.
I'm not sure which other post you refer to or how it is relevant to this discussion. As far as "reading things before you comment", I would say the same to you. I have read your posts numerous times (even quoted it in my replies) and it still sounds like sour grapes to me. However, you still have not listed any specific reasons that editors are looking for alternatives. According to you, now it is 80% of editors you know would switch if a better alternative was available. Of course they would. So would I. Who wouldn't want a better product. The point is that no such alternative is currently available. I'm sure I could sample the editors I know and find 80% who would not want to switch.

Again, my problem with your posts is not your opinion, but how you expressed it and how few specifics you have stated to back it up. Saying that "many, most or 80%" of users don't want to use Pro Tools anymore is rather vague and hard to prove. Listing specific issues and feature requests would legitimize your arguement and be much more productive than just whining about update releases.

This is boring. Good luck with things. I hope you find an alternative that makes you happy.
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 06-20-2005, 12:56 PM

How about the video integration with their own parent company? Why is that such a difficult process? In Final Cut Pro all you have to do too export your video and audio to Sound Track Pro is select "Export video and Audio to Sound Track Pro" and it takes just a few seconds. Also Sound Track Pro come with 50 plug-ins, the same ones that come with Logic Pro 7, along with great noise reduction and audio restoration features. As I stated in a previous reply Nuendo systems can run off of one PC with Madi cards that can out put 52 channels per card. As for why Pro Tools needs to step up their game (and this is from multiple editors that I have talked to): They haven't given any new editing tools since version 4, no cue-sheet support (without spending extra money), no decent video support (without spending $12000), no change note support, no support to load audio from a flex file, can't have multiple sessions open at a time, can't easily move elements between sessions, audiosuite plugins change the actual audio file, no way to "backtrack" if you don't like what you got. One of the major things is video. They are owned by Avid, when they got rid of audiovision they told everyone that they were going to integrate it into Pro Tools and they never did. Would it not be great to get the same video from the picture editors and not have to spend $30,000 on a meridian box? No I don't kick my own dog! I love pro tools for what it gives me and that's why I want to see it evolve better. All I am asking for right now is 6.9.2 LE so I can install Tiger. It has been since the end of April and still nothing, that's not ok. No other software developers would allow that (Adobe, Microsoft, etc...). Yes my comment about Digidesign being a "horrible" software company was a bit over the top, but I am a little upset that it has taken this long to release 6.9.2 LE. And remember how long it took Digidesign to release Pro Tools 6? OS X was out for two years or so. Why are they always behind? Can you answer that? If they keep these kind of things up, don't you think that they are just making themselves vulnerable for other manufacturers to come in and take there business?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:17 PM

I'm inclined to agree with jazz, I Love Digidesign, and i preach it to all who will hear it. But in my quest for intergration i have to say digi is lacking. i wish PT was a less proprietary software. i love the stability. i love the ease of use. i love the fact that i can record on a 002 overdub on an mbox and mix on a TDM. But why cant i have more tracks on my LE or surround like other native software. why did it take so long for ADC or why do we have to pay extra for timecode and omf import when other software has it built in. By adding it as a feature and charging more we'd pay for it, your not cutting into your TDM profits. Please... your stuff is made overseas we know theres a huge profit margin in your equipment. Especially if it's made in China. Its the software where your getting screwed and your taking it out on us LE users. again ill overstate the fact that i love digi and i would never bite the hand that feeds me.(literaly) But you can only give us bones for so long we need some meat. stop crippling your software to your loyalist consumer base. We come to this DUC to find answers and give advice because in one way or another. We live (again literaly) and die By pro-tools.