Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2010, 07:22 AM

Default What is the most stable OS & PTLE version today?

Hey all

I did a bunch of searching through the archives but can't find much discussion of this.

Is there a consensus out there for what the most stable OS and PT version is these days?

It seems that 8.0.4 is giving people problems, but 8.0.3 is as well... also seems that people have stopped updating at OS 10.6.3 for the moment? (FYI, I'm still using 10.4.9 and 7.3 because they work for me!)

Also, on a side note, how is the music production toolkit handled in 8? I have searched Avid's site and can't seem to find how the update process works from PT7.

Thanks for your time!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Default Re: What is the most stable OS & PTLE version today?

I'm not your typical power user but I'm running 8.04 on my Mac Book Pro with 10.6.4 and it's fine for me. I think it really depends on what you're doing but I'm primarily using Virtual Instruments (both Digi and 3rd party) to write my tracks and use Elastic Audio on my audio tracks.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:58 AM

I've been using OSX 10.6.4 with PT LE 8.0.4 on a MacBook Pro for several months now. It's working well. I have encountered CPU problems when using some VIs and I did have a problem at one point opening an older session and getting "assertion error" messages - you can check out my previous posts for more details on that - but I've not encountered anything that would give me reason to describe the software as "unstable".
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Glyph Drives + Blackmagic dock with Samsung SSDs
Reason 10, Ivory II, BFD3, Finale
Plugins: Kush, Kontakt, Komplete Ultimate, Exponential Audio, Waves, Slate, Fab Filter, TDR, Pultec Bundle, Bomb Factory, UVI Workstation, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Massey, Valhalla, Aether, PhoenixVerb, etc...
also 17" MacBook Pro w Core i7, OSX 10.9.4
Old 10-18-2010, 10:07 AM

hey all
great, good to hear.
i do your typical audio recording/mixing/composing in PT. so, VI's, yes. A variety of plug-ins, yes. Tracking/mixing, yes.

I have been using waves for years, and it sounds like those are causing a bit of pain in PT8 still. I also use NI's Komplete, which is almost always causing problems in some way or another with a variety of platforms, I'll have to check that.

Any others want to chime in?

best
b
Old 10-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Waves works great in PT8. Not sure where you heard that. Of course, you need to use a recent version. And NI stuff really seemed to get up to speed about a year ago when Komplete 6 came out. Seems to be working well for most people.