Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 01-12-2006, 08:19 PM

Default virtual standard midi

How do I access any virtual standard midi sounds/instruments in protools m-powered?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:48 AM

Default Re: virtual standard midi

Quote:
virtual standard midi sounds/instruments
I'm assuming you are talking about GM MIDI sounds?
Pro Tools does not (currently) come with any virtual instruments built in. There are a number of solutions, both free and paid, when it comes to softsynths.

Here's a list of some free plug-ins. Not all of these are softsynths, but some of them are. The most popular free one has got to be Sampletank Free, a version of which comes with all LE systems. The downlaodable free one is almost identical to the one that comes with LE, it's just a little more work as you have to make sure you download and install all of the samples for it as well. Unfortuanately, it's not really standard GM. Most softsynths aren't.

You could find a GM Soundfont and use it with a soundfont player. I've got details about how to do that on a help page on my website.

Native Instruments also recently came out with a GM player called Bandstand for about $230.

If you've got a standard sound card built into your PC, you should also be able to access the GM sounds built into that, however, to hear/record the sounds in PT, you will have to route the audio output of that soundcard into your MAudio interface, since you can't do that internally.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-05-2006, 10:50 PM

ok, what next?

I bought NI's Bandstand and Kompakt, and m-audio's minimonsta. They're all installed.

in the mix window---i'd like to set the output of a midi track to something other than my yamaha psr220, so i can experiment with different sounds.

Bless you for helping me.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:54 PM

Another help page on my website to help you with that. (just replace your instrument everywhere I say Sampletank)

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-06-2006, 01:02 AM

thank you, bless you, thank you