Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-18-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Sound Module

Hey guys.... I've been planning to get me a sound module... I've been looking at the roland fantom XR... I've heard alot of good things about this machine... What do you guys think??.... is there any other sound modules that sound good?? maybe something a little less expensive??... also... what's the best way to connect a sound module to my 002 rack??... thanx guys
Old 02-18-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Sound Module

You may want to look at plug-in synths or soft synths. Sample Tank, Korg, Do a search on th DUC and look for these. Why buy a box when you can have the same thing in your PC. Just my 2 cts.

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 02-18-2005, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Why buy a box when you can have the same thing in your PC. Just my 2 cts.
sound quality
so you have DSP available for other plugs
stability
but mainly it depends on how you like to work

i certainly wont be ditching my modules any time soon

i like my roland modules, not to sure whats currently available, look at the XV series or the JV series if there are any left
or go to the yearly roland sales of the demo stock and pick up a bargin

you can connect it direct to your 002 MIDI ports, or alot of the newer modules also have USB or you can get a MIDI interface if you need several MIDI i/o
Old 02-19-2005, 10:30 PM

The reason I want to go with a module is because I'm tired of all the CPU Crap... Plus I've heard that they sound a little better.... well... if you guys know of any good modules let me know... I already have sample tank.. reason... trilogy........... but now I really want to go for a "box"... thanx guys
Old 02-19-2005, 11:31 PM

I just got the full version of Sample Tank and BFD and all I can say is they both sound great. I have 1.5 gigs of ram and I think that is probably the minimum to run them both at the same time plus other plug-ins.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:19 AM

I second the opinions for sound modules. I have an AkaiZ8 sampler and it would take alot for me to get rid of it. I have 512Mb of memory and an onboard 40 gig HDD. Capable of playing out 32 midi channels.

Thanks to www.hollowsun.com I have a massive library of classic syths that I don't believe are generally available for other soft samplers(in their native format).

With the CPU demands placed on my system by PTLE (which is quite powerful on its own) the Z8 performs everytime.

I don't think I'd be able to have the flexibility I enjoy currently if I was to use soft synths and samplers.

For now, I'll keep my Z8, Nord Lead 3 and Alesis Ion
1 Gig PC2700 Corsair Memory
120 gig Ext USB 2.0
32+14 DaveC PT 6.9