Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2006, 06:14 PM

Default Audio MIDI Setup confusion

Greetings,

I am trying to hook up a 16 channel Alesis Keyboard to a Digi002, using ProTools 6.2.4 on a Dual2.0Ghz G5, running OSX Tiger.

I have had some success, but there are some things really stumping me...

1) What is "Port 3" and why is it called "control" and when will I have to concern myself with this?

2) Before I was experimenting with the routing in MIDI Setup, there was an option (under both Inputs and Outputs, in ProTools) labeled "Digi 002" or "predefined." I think the former was a subset of the latter, but I can't remember and now I can't check because all of a sudden this option is GONE. How could I have done this, and how can I get it back?

I'll probably have more questions as I continue to unravel this problem, but for now, I'd appreciate any insights regarding the above.

Thanks a lot,

scotty p.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Audio MIDI Setup confusion

Can't help you with MIDI and the 002, but you should upgrade to PTLE 6.9.2 or 7.0, 6.2.4 will not work with Tiger.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:49 PM

Sorry... my mistake. I am indeed on 6.9.2. I must've been thinking of another software...

Anyway, my main problem right now is this: Regardless of whether that formerly-available "predestined/digi002" option is showing up in my i/o column windows, my Alesis keyboard is showing up there, thankfully. I can manually insert note data and Pro Tools successfully sends it to the keyboard via whatever channel I choose in the output window. But for some unknown reason, even though I select, say, Alesis Channel 1 in the input window, no information is being received in the software when I attempt to real-time record MIDI info from the keyboard.

Earlier, when I pressed record, I noticed all the drum tracks' info being collectively pressed to this new track. "OK, looks like I've got 'All' selected for input, and since the drum tracks are being sent out to the keyboard it's obvious that they were being echoed back to the new track that's currently record-enabled. No problem, I'll just switch the input to a single channel." But I couldn't receive info that I was actually playing from the keyboard, no matter which channel I tried (and yes, I checked to make sure the keyboard and the input were set to the same channel.)

Soon after, in the course of experimentation, I switched the input back to "all" and now even this wasn't receiving anything, no echoed drum tracks, no nothing. This was, relatedly or not, just about the same moment I noticed that the "predestined/digi002" option had disappeared from either the input or the output windows, and I can't help but think the two are related.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:28 PM

Have you utilized the Audio Midi Setup function as part of Tiger? Pro Tools reads these settings and usually it works fine. AMS is Under your utilities in OS X. Set up your MIDI studio in their completely first, making all the connections as they really are physically. Then open PT and see if your ports are all squared away.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Greetings,

I am trying to hook up a 16 channel Alesis Keyboard to a Digi002, using ProTools 6.2.4 on a Dual2.0Ghz G5, running OSX Tiger.

I have had some success, but there are some things really stumping me...

1) What is "Port 3" and why is it called "control" and when will I have to concern myself with this?

2) Before I was experimenting with the routing in MIDI Setup, there was an option (under both Inputs and Outputs, in ProTools) labeled "Digi 002" or "predefined." I think the former was a subset of the latter, but I can't remember and now I can't check because all of a sudden this option is GONE. How could I have done this, and how can I get it back?

I'll probably have more questions as I continue to unravel this problem, but for now, I'd appreciate any insights regarding the above.

Thanks a lot,

scotty p.

Port 3 is the control port that Pro Tools uses to communicate with the 002, to send and receive information to and from the cotrol surface . You can ignore it. ( and don't try to assign anything to or from it)

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3