Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-01-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Experience converting a 44KHz session to 96KHz

I did this just to experiment about dsp usage and plugins behaviour, being all material proginally recorded at 44.1KHz. My system is : G5 2.5Dual, 4,5G RAM, Mac OS 10.3.9, PT 6.9.1cs2. The session included :
- 25 stereo audio tracks
- 7 mono audio tracks
- 13 stereo aux tracks for buses and external reverb returns
- 52 stereo plugins inserted (compressors, eqs, delays, reverbs)
- 5 mono plugins inserted (eqs and compressors)
- delay compensation on with short delays.
I have 1 Core Card, 1 HD Accel card and 4 HD Process cards.
Regarding H/W settings I have : buffer 512 (switching at 96Khz it goes to 1024), CPU usage 99 % (same for both sessions), while the 'voices' have to be set differently. At 44KHz I used a 3 dsp setting to have 64 voices, while at 96KHz I have to use a 4 dsp to access the same 64 voices.
The playback engine is at level 4 for both but keeping level 4 at 96KHz needs a larger amount of RAM so I had to set it up and restart my computer.
At 44.1Khz the total dsp usage covered just 3 cards (Core + Accel + one HD Process), and summing all the individual chips usage percentages I have a total of 1983. The same session at 96KHz needs 5 cards plus a chip on the sixth card. The total usage is now 3653 but in the 96KHz I can't activate 3 Sony Oxford EQ plugins. Maybe they need some particular type of chips to be free. I tried to optimize these plugins usage by switching for 4 to the version without filters, so I could reactivate the other three, with a slight higher total usage, from 3653 to 3687.
Regarding plugins compatibility I discovered that the Digidesign Extra Long Delay plugin is not supported in TDM at 96KHz so I had to convert them (on both sessions to make a good comparison) to RTAS. Another thing I discovered is that at 44KHz I have a 'Rverb' plugin in the Waves Renaissance Collections, while at 96Khz it's no longer there, so I had to switch for both sessions to the 'Rverb HTDM' plug.
The overall comment is that it's not been difficult but I think I need to substitute at least one of my Process cards with another Accel.
The disk performance is surprisingly good, I converted all the audio files and put them on a single SATA 7200 internal drive and it worked very good. I want to keep testing with recording and editing at 96KHz.
Obviously I couldn't resist to make two 44.1 aiff mixes and see if I can hear any difference, even though I know the result will be 'heavily' influenced by the fact that the original files were recorded at 44KHz, but this is another story...