Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2017, 03:47 PM

Default In need of some assistance regarding IO

Hello! New to the forum and really hope that you can help me solve a really irritating problem. It´s a couple of things and I´ll try to be as precise as possible.

Here goes: I recently bought myself a new Imac, in hope to get rid of my problems with my old PC....
I´ve been using PT 11 since it came out and had, more or less, no problems with it till my computer decided to start to crash for reasons unknown.

So, with PT 11 not being compatible with Sierra I needed to upgrade to PT 12 which I´ve now done. Also bought a new audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen) because the other one wasn't´t compatible either. All well and good. When I start PT and go into the IO setup, I can't do anything really. I can't set an input and the "default" button is greyed out. I've chosen the interface in the Playback engine, but I still can't get the IO to work. The output seems to work though, which I find strange.
I´ve also switched the interface to default in the system settings on my Mac.

This is a real pain and I´ve been searching forums all over, but can't find anything about it. Or baby I just suck at googling...

Anyone know whats happening here?

Oh, and another thing. The first thing that happened to me when I opened PT was an error message saying that Im running out of ram memory, and that I need to get more Ram. Ok, 8gb isn't THAT much, but wouldn't it be enough to have a blank PT session open?

Ever since I decided to get myself an Imac I´ve been running into problem after problem...It feels like my Mac skills are to low at the moment.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated!

All the best!
Old 07-13-2017, 07:47 PM

Default Re: In need of some assistance regarding IO

Is the interface not showing up as an option from the track input?
Old 07-13-2017, 07:52 PM

Does your iMac allow you to add more RAM? I have a 2015 iMac that came with 8GB, but I added 16GB from OWC. I didn't get any out of memory errors, but the system was noticeably less responsive at 8GB vs 24GB.

I don't know why Apple ships the new 2017 iMacs with only 8GB of RAM. That's fine for their entry level models, but a ~$2000 computer should have at least 16GB.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:19 AM

Have you re-installed the focusrite driver ?
Old 07-28-2017, 07:58 AM

Are you set up in your mac Audio midi configuration ?

mac/utilities/Audio midi setup
Old 07-28-2017, 11:30 AM

Default In need of some assistance regarding IO

The Scarlett 2i2 is a class-compliant interface, no driver is needed on Mac. (As I assume the OP knows). Start Pro Tools, hold down the 'N' key and keep it held down until the playback engine dialog panel appears and then select the 2i2 there. What exact options show up in the Playback Engine pull Down? A screenshot might help.

There is nothing you need to configure in Audio Midi Setup to at least see this interface in Pro Tools, but you should check that it is listed in Audio Midi Setup, and you can test it works as the default system Sound Device... but then set that back to Built-In Audio before messing with Pro Tools (to avoid and clock rate conflict issues). If the interface works for system Sound that is a pretty food test that is not at fault.

Have you trashed prefs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-28-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken View Post
Does your iMac allow you to add more RAM? I have a 2015 iMac that came with 8GB, but I added 16GB from OWC. I didn't get any out of memory errors, but the system was noticeably less responsive at 8GB vs 24GB.

I don't know why Apple ships the new 2017 iMacs with only 8GB of RAM. That's fine for their entry level models, but a ~$2000 computer should have at least 16GB.
With a 27 inch iMac you can put your own ram in and save a ton of money over the Apple supplied sticks. Not to mention actually put in more ram than Apple sells. Now the smaller iMac you're stuck with whatever is in the machine you get from Apple (what you spec when ordering).

BTW - got 32 gig of OWC ram in mine and no problems.

QAPLA!