Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2009, 06:15 PM

Default Nothing new at AES this year I guess....

Safe to say nothing new for at least another year since Digi isn't exhibiting at AES? Thoughts?

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=251977
Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Nothing new at AES this year I guess....

The actual thread: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=251910

Murmurs something will rear its head at NAMM, or NAB, or maybe all the way out to AES SF 2010.

You guys aren't going to like it no matter what it is I would wreckon. Ignorance, for you, is bliss.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:44 PM

Hi peppertree..

What is your prediction for digi future. Whole new hardware? No TDM? Digi collapse? You seem to have put a fair amount of thought into this. Id just like to get your opinion..

Cheers
Dave
Old 08-13-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdstudio View Post
Hi peppertree..

What is your prediction for digi future. Whole new hardware? No TDM? Digi collapse? You seem to have put a fair amount of thought into this. Id just like to get your opinion..
I think they are going to go "native plus."

I.e. there will still be digi hardware, and you will need to use digi/avid hardware to use pro tools. But that hardware will be a supplement to the DAW rather than the base on which it runs.

They will grudgingly replace ambus with MADI, with a new line of interface hardware that may even be co-branded with some fancypants converter/preamp maker. Like they did with Focusrite, before "focusrite" meant cheapo. Or PMC.

There will be DSP acceleration, but only for the instances in which it matters, and it may well be GPU (Open CL) based for an open standard kind of thing. It matters for foldback processing, and may matter for certain DSP or RAM intensive things like Bricasti-style reverbs.

I think they have been horse whipped into embracing standards seeing as they have no must-have advantages left. I don't think they have much hubris left and are humbling down to being a "positive alternative." It's possible the real engineering talent all bailed years ago.

I don't really know what they are going to do, so I can only speak in vague terms. If I knew I wouldn't feel able to speak, because that would be violating the confidence of friends. But no one has felt the need to dismiss my imaginings...
Old 08-13-2009, 04:23 AM

Quite a decent hypothesis i reckon. I dont understand the MADI/ ambus thing though. What does that mean?

Cheers
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post

I.e. there will still be digi hardware, and you will need to use digi/avid hardware to use pro tools. But that hardware will be a supplement to the DAW rather than the base on which it runs.

They will grudgingly replace ambus with MADI, with a new line of interface hardware that may even be co-branded with some fancypants converter/preamp maker. Like they did with Focusrite, before "focusrite" meant cheapo. Or PMC.

There will be DSP acceleration, but only for the instances in which it matters, and it may well be GPU (Open CL) based for an open standard kind of thing. It matters for foldback processing, and may matter for certain DSP or RAM intensive things like Bricasti-style reverbs.

I think they have been horse whipped into embracing standards seeing as they have no must-have advantages left. I don't think they have much hubris left and are humbling down to being a "positive alternative." It's possible the real engineering talent all bailed years ago.

I don't really know what they are going to do, so I can only speak in vague terms. If I knew I wouldn't feel able to speak, because that would be violating the confidence of friends. But no one has felt the need to dismiss my imaginings...
Old 08-13-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:

Between your posts and your signature, you sure do project a lot onto an inanimate object. Might want to look in the mirror.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdstudio View Post
Hi peppertree..

Cheers
Dave
I went to my digi dealer to ask about something and I was told that Digidesign is reducing the number of HD dealers. In fact, my dealer (which is the largest music store/chain in Canada) has been cut off from the HD line of products. So...they are selling off the entire digi HD stuff that they own at bargain prices. It is avery good time to pick up an Icon for very, very, cheap but...why would anyone want to invest in a company that appears to be shrinking rapidly?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:04 AM

Hello. Actually all we can know for sure with this announcement is that Digidesign will not be on the showroom floor if they make an announcement. But that doesn't stop them from making the announcements. In other words, they could bring out something new and just make a press release. They did say they will be around at a nearby hotel. And by the way, Apple has skipped the last two NAB conventions and other tradeshows, and we all know Apple is doing very well.

I think this is more a reflection of the future of tradeshows in general rather than anything else. The major tradeshows for audio, video, graphics, etc. have seen major players not attend in the last few years. When you factor in the world of the internet I wouldn't be surprised if tradeshows saw major facelifts and downsizing across the board in the next few years.

Anyway, Digidesign could and probably will make announcements between now and AES, they just won't be on the showroom floor.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:16 AM

I don't forsee any significant core technology announcements this year. Unless they decide they need to pre-announce. There will be system-support-level announcements and maybe some VI or plugin things that they will try to sell you before they bundle them for free.

Ambus is the klunky old proprietary connector that hooks a 192i/o to the HD card in the computer. MADI is an open standard for up to 64 channels of digital i/o. SSL, RME, and most of the postpro vendors support MADI.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Ambus is the klunky old proprietary connector that hooks a 192i/o to the HD card in the computer. MADI is an open standard for up to 64 channels of digital i/o. SSL, RME, and most of the postpro vendors support MADI.
Actually, AMBus stands for Apogee Multimedia Bus, and was used at Apogee for the AD-8000 and Trak2 expansion cards, one of which was for Pro Tools.