Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 02-06-2015, 04:31 AM

Default very frustrated with CPU

Hi all,

I purchased a new computer a few weeks ago. It is an i7 with 16 gigs of ram. I use ProTools 11 on it in conjunction with Vienna Ensemble Pro. My sessions generally range from 16 to 24 instruments (i.e. two VE Pro instances). I record to an external harddrive.

I get pops and clicks and Low CPU messages frequently. One instance of VE Pro monitors the CPU usage at 24-27% which I find rather high (even with sixteen instruments). I am not using an outrageous number of plugins. Three or four and a compressor or EQ here and there. Although, I do insert a third party sound field (Virtual Sound Stage II) on every instrument. Perhaps that is the issue?

Other than that, the only thing I can guess could be an issue is that I record onto the same harddrive that the samples are stored on.

Any thoughts? Please help ASAP. Big project on the way.

Much appreciated,
DAPianist
Old 02-06-2015, 04:43 AM

Default Re: very frustrated with CPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAPianist View Post
Hi all,

I purchased a new computer a few weeks ago. It is an i7 with 16 gigs of ram. I use ProTools 11 on it in conjunction with Vienna Ensemble Pro. My sessions generally range from 16 to 24 instruments (i.e. two VE Pro instances). I record to an external harddrive.

I get pops and clicks and Low CPU messages frequently. One instance of VE Pro monitors the CPU usage at 24-27% which I find rather high (even with sixteen instruments). I am not using an outrageous number of plugins. Three or four and a compressor or EQ here and there. Although, I do insert a third party sound field (Virtual Sound Stage II) on every instrument. Perhaps that is the issue?

Other than that, the only thing I can guess could be an issue is that I record onto the same harddrive that the samples are stored on.

Much appreciated,
DAPianist
Windows or Mac?
Operating system version?
VSS2 on every channel might be the culprit here. Those other plugins - are they on every channel?
Have you optimized your computer? Turned off wi-fi, etc.?
What's your buffers setting?
Exact PT11 revision?

QAPLA!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:50 AM

Hello! Thanks so much for the reply!

It is a Mac Yosemite.
VSS2 is the only plugin on every channel.
Pro Tools 11.3
Buffer Setting: 64 (I really can't go much higher than that, after 128 I begin to experience latency)

I have not optimized the computer...I had hoped that this computer could do the work without a lot of special attention.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Hello! Thanks so much for the reply!

It is a Mac Yosemite.
VSS2 is the only plugin on every channel.
Pro Tools 11.3
Buffer Setting: 64 (I really can't go much higher than that, after 128 I begin to experience latency)

I have not optimized the computer...I had hoped that this computer could do the work without a lot of special attention.
If you're mixing and not tracking there's no reason to run with low buffers.

And yes - you ARE going to have to optimize that computer. Running something as processor intensive as a soundfield effect will eat your cpu power real fast and even the best of circumstances and on a non-optimized system - issues galore like you're experiencing. And please don't tell us that external drive is a green drive.

Any particular reason you're running VEPro? Have you tried running without it and just having everything in PT?

QAPLA!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:04 AM

musicman691, I really your help!

I use Vienna Instruments almost exclusively and had always assumed that VE Pro helped conserve CPU not the other way around. In fact, I tried several times to open up single V. Instruments in instrument tracks and this seemed to have an even worse effect on the CPU. Are you saying that VE Pro is actually more CPU consuming?

I am using a Glyph GT050Q, 500 GB Harddrive.

OK, I will try this again soon's I get home with an optimized system... once again, your feedback is MUCH APPRECIATED!!
Old 02-06-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
musicman691, I really your help!

I use Vienna Instruments almost exclusively and had always assumed that VE Pro helped conserve CPU not the other way around. In fact, I tried several times to open up single V. Instruments in instrument tracks and this seemed to have an even worse effect on the CPU. Are you saying that VE Pro is actually more CPU consuming?

I am using a Glyph GT050Q, 500 GB Harddrive.

OK, I will try this again soon's I get home with an optimized system... once again, your feedback is MUCH APPRECIATED!!
Not a problem - if what I write can help - that's all I need to know. And if it doesn't I'd like to know that as well. VEPro doesn't really help to conserve cpu power on a single machine. I have a session I'm working on with 16 instances of EWQLSO running their Play 4 engine, 4 aux tracks and TRacks plugins on my 2-buss. System isn't even breathing hard at 16% cpu usage as shown in PT with every track playing. System optimized to the max.

In addition to LaCie drives I also use Glyph GPT50's in 2 terabyte size and they have been solid. Not as fast as an ssd but I can live with it and I have happy clients - what more can one ask for?

QAPLA!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Much appreciated,
DAPianist
Congratulations on the new computer!

I have two mac's running VE Pro, and I run 95% of my VI's with VEP Pro v5. I love VEP - it's rock solid, allows me to use the same setups with different sessions easily and I've found that it appears to distribute CPU load across the cores very evenly when used with PT 11.3 on Yosemite. I've had VE Pro since V4 on PT 10, when it was an absolute necessity. I have tried moving instruments into PT 11, but I've found that the stability wasn't there, the ease of updating a VEP "Multi" that is used across sessions was missed (and the ability to spread across multiple Mac's so convenient) - so I stopped putting the majority of my VIs in PT session, opting to continue on using VEP as I had. That said, if it is something quick or unique to a particular session, I have instanced a single VI in PT if necessary.

So I agree with your VEP thinking and planning. I am doing the same.

I think the issue is your CPU HorsePower, or rather, lack of it. I have both a 2012 MacPro running at 3.02GHz(see sig) pretty loaded running a HDX2 system with 2 Octo UAD cards with 48GB Ram. The MacBook Pro is a i7 Retina version with 16GB Ram running at 2.7GHz. There is no way I would expect my i7 to be able to create a large orchestral section, let alone a 16 channel output drum kit. Those large tasks (especially the room tails) consume the resources of my MacPro. Also - I use a buffer size of 256, but since I'm running HDX, I do not have latency issues when overdubbing to sessions which are close to completion. [I perform RAW/Mix/Master parallel streams within every session such that once I'm done, I have final product to release to the public.]

I think musicman691 gave you good advice in looking to your plugs running along with that number of VIs on that CPU. I am not familiar with that plug, but I think your buffer size being so low along with 16 VIs is probably pretty taxing on that CPU.

Try backing off the number of VIs (or distribute them to another CPU), and increase your buffer size as a test. Once you figure out what is solid, you'll have ground truth on what your particular CPU can do.

Good Luck!
DSP & IO : Pro Tools HDX2(2018.3), 2x UAD Octo, HDIO 16x16 Analog IO(3), HDIO 16x16 Digital IO
Plugins: Avid, DMG Audio, Kush, oeksound, P'n'T, Plugin Alliance, Softube, SoundTheory, Sonnox, Sound Radix, SoundToys, UAD, VEP, etc
Hardware: API, Chandler, Hardy, Moog, Neve, Shadow Hills, Smart, Summit, TC Electronic M6000, UREI, etc
Microphones: Telefunken, Neumann, Shure, AKG