Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2019, 10:41 PM

Default Difference between 2A channels V.S. normal Stereo?

Hi there,
Recently I finished an album and the master engineer give me .wav files. I import them into Pro Tools and the stereo audio file does not automatically create 1 stereo track, but created 2 mono tracks, while in the region list it still display as 1 file (with the click to open arrow) but has "2A channels".

1.This is like a 2 split mono files but stored in 1 audio file, which got me confusing, anyone can explain more?

2.I need to convert that 24/48 file to 16/441 so here's what I did:
Import by add or drag audio into editing window, they show in 2 mono tracks, I create a stereo track, drag that 2 mono tracks into the new stereo track and they are now one stereo file and I right click in the region list to export as files and choose 16441.
Am I doing right?

3. By the way, just out of curiosity, it seems PT actually changes the file while import that 2A channel audio file, here's what I found:
Do a checksum of the original 2A channel audio file (1 file), import by add or drag into editing window, after import do another checksum of the original file and hash is different. Add or drag regular stereo file does not change the original file. What could PT add to that file?

Thanks