Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2011, 09:10 AM

Default Playback Engine issues

I recently started encountering an issue with my interface(Presonus Firestudio Project) and pro tools playing back audio. I originally installed pro tools 9.0.2 along with the most current drivers for my interface on a OS X 10.6.3 system. I had no issues and the interface and pro tools worked together fine. I have not been using it since then, and just started it up today.(pro tools) Meanwhile, i have been using my Presonus Firestudio Project to play back the audio from my iMac. When i opened a session today, it would not play back. I would press the play button, only to have it flash a few brief times, then stop. I would get messages saying "Playback engine does not support 44.1k sample rate" Now i know this is not true, because the interface supports up to 96k, and it has worked before. I looked into it and read that if i use my interface to play back my computers audio, sometimes the iMac will take precedence over pro tools and pro tools cannot use it. So i changed the settings in system prefs to have computer audio playback through the internal speakers. This did not fix the problem. I tired different combinations of changing the settings and power cycling and nothing has worked so far. I have downloaded the latest drivers and firmware for my interface. As a last hurrah I tried downloading the 9.0.5 patch for pro tools. None of these things have worked.I am still experiencing this issue. Please help!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:20 AM

Does the interface show up with zero inputs and outputs in the audio/midi settings?

I've seen this happen with other interfaces ant it was always fixed by turning off the interface and rebooting the Mac and then turning back on the interface.

Is there a Firewire disk on the same Firewire chain? If so remove the disk and just see if the interface will work. Try a different, known to work cable.

Failing that try again to remove and reinstall the device driver.

More info on your system might help somebody help you, like details of the Mac etc. See the "Help Us Help You" link at the top of this page.

Darryl
Old 10-15-2011, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Playback Engine issues

The interface seems to be working fine. The software that runs it, Universal Control, shows up, works properly, lets me select what sampling rate to use, works fine as an interface to my monitors for computer audio,etc. I don't think it is the interface.My iMac ( 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, OS X 10.6.3 running Pro Tools 9.0.5) is well equipped to handle it, and has done just fine in the past. I just used the interface to record into Pro Tools just a few weeks earlier. The interface is firewire and it is connected to the extra firewire port on a Glyph external hard drive, which then terminates into my imac via firewire. I haven't tried hooking them up to their own ports on the iMac, so I will give that a try. I have double and triple checked that the Presonus interface shows up in the playback engine window in pro tools, i have it selected, its is on the same sample rate as the session I am trying to run, and I also have the same sample rate selected under Audio/Midi Setup>Format, all set to 44.1KHz. But it says that my interface does not support it, and therefore wont play back. I can go into Universal Control which runs the Presonus and select 44.1 KHz........
Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 AM

Did you try trashing Protools preferences, etc?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:38 AM

yes i already tried trashing prefs and databases. Didn't work. I am going to try doing an un-install and re-install of pro tools and universal control(firmware for my interface). I also am going to try to install universal control on my macbook and use the interface with my laptop. It is currently running Pro Tools 9.0.3 using aggregate playback and it is working just fine. If it wonks out after I set up my interface, then at least I'll know that the interface might just be the problem after all. But I still think its Pro Tools........; )
Old 10-16-2011, 11:07 PM

I am having trouble following by all the descriptions. Are you using aggregate I/O on the Mac having that is showing problems? If so try using the native interface and see if the problem happens again.

There I've seen similar problem descriptions floating around here and elsewhere (Gearslutz?) have you tried searching for this?

Darryl
Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 AM

Hello Rwechta,

I'm having almost exactly the same problems that you describe trying to get the PreSonus Firestudio to talk to Pro Tools 9.0.6. I have already tried all the things that you tried and still no joy.

Did you ever find a solution in the end?